Like a New Yorker

New Yorkers are scary,

Intimidating,

Just plain weird.
They do everything so different

From us Texans.

I can walk like a New Yorker:

Quickly,

Head tucked low,

Cell phone to the ear,
Disregarin’ the traffic.

I can tawk like a New Yawka:

Accentin’ and repetin’.

I can even drink “soder” cans like a New Yorker:

Through a straw!

I can drive like a New Yorker (if I was old enough):

Move people, move: I’m comin’ through!
and

Whadya mean “I can’t run the reds”?

I can eat pizza like a New Yorker:

Fold it in half,

Drippin’ grease down my shirt.

I can dress like a New Yorker:

Briefcase—Check!

Tie—Check!

Pressed suit—Check!

Stony face—CHECK!

But ya know what I can’t do?

Be a New Yorker.
‘Cause I’m a Texan through and through.

@nime.@ngel said...
Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:33 pm:
I like the idea of it, the way its written fits with the idea and also it amusing and creative! Though in some ways poem doesn't flow all the way through out. The best I liked about it was that you're proud to be who you and where you come from. Keep writing!! ^-^

Black_Rose_Princess said...
Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:36 am:
Wow, this was very well written and quite creative. I loved how you changed your poem's accent in order to fit in with the "New Yorker lingo". And I must say, your writing style and voice is very well-done, espcially how you are able to change it to fir the content of the poem...very creative. And I must say, the ending was very nice! Now some things that came to mind: 1. Why only a New Yorker? There are many other things you could have used and maybe you could have u... (more »)

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:36 am:
this was amusing yes but i redally like what you did with the end there 

thatunknownthingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm:
this poem entertained me. you maintained the poetic touch and still it sounded causual and was really enjoyable! you're effects have worked out just fine! would you mind commenting on my poem "the sea" (it's in poem forums ryt now, but as of yet not gone online on teen ink) it would mean a lot. :) and great job!

Josika.Nav said...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:21 am:

hey! well written poem! i like your dtyle of writing and your themes. ...i did find one mistake ,though. should'nt be 'disregardin' instead of 'Disregarin’'.

but hey, who isn't prone to typos :P. great work and keep writing :D 

Eirias replied...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm :
yeah . . . It should also be "repeatin'" . . . there are a few others that I don't remember anymore . . .

JoPepper said...
LOL!!!!  They need to stop messin' with the formatting!!!!! I really liked it!!!! :D

Eirias replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm :
Thank you!

JoPepper replied...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm :
Anytime!!!! ;D

Eirias said...
See the formatting didn't work out 100%. There was supposed to be stanzas ending with: Texans, traffic, *repeatin', straw, reds, shirt, CHECK, and through. There were also some indents that didn't really show up. Honestly, I'm a bit miffed!

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
Don't feel stupid. It happens !

betweenyouandiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 8:43 pm :
I love this! I've lived right above New York for years, and have been there almost every weekend, but never once did I think people saw it like this. This was, different. In a very fantastic way! :)

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

and repetin'

should be..repeatin'

I like it otherwise.

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

I like the poem. Just a couple of small mistakes:

Disregarin': Should be-Disregardin'

Eirias replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 5:37 pm :
Wow, I feel really stupid. I've had that poem for a year, shown it to TONS of people, and  no one (including myself) has yet noticed those typos. Thanks!

JerseyGirl716 said...
Hahahaha I love this! I'm a Jersey Girl but half the people in my town work in NYC, so I thought it was pretty hysterical... and I'm one of those people with the accents! Great job!