Where are you, Debbie?

Where are you, Debbie?
Do you exist in the world?
Or somewhere so unknown,
You shall never again be heard?
Do you wander with strangers,
Or sit with neighbors?
Is it truly a lovely place
To be?

Where are you, Mother,
The one we remember so well?
Who comforts us in the night,
With a laugh like ringing bells?
Who watched soccer games a many,
And provided us with plenty?
Is it truly a lovely place
To be?

Where are you, Wife,
The one he desired the most?
Do you still kiss him goodnight,
Or still prepare his breakfast toast?
The couple that would never separate,
The one he called his soulmate?
Is it truly a lovely place
To be?

Where are you, Sister,
Who shared laughs and a smile,
With a brother who would never leave her,
Even for just a while?
The siblings that would endure any day
The hardships that may come their way?
Is it truly a lovely place
To be?

Where are you, Daughter,
Whom they adored and took pride in?
And smiled and gestured,
When you would stride in?
The one who could never be more good
For the parents who knew she would?
Is it truly a lovely place
To be?

Where are you, Aunt,
The one I write this to?
That we would travel miles away
Just so we could see you?
Do you dwell in my mind
Just to remind
Me of the times
I'm missing today?
Where are you, Debbie?

Is it truly a lovely place
To be?

CoffeeKat said...

*sniff* Wow. A very beautiful and touching poem. I can relate--I have a very sick Aunt who is my Godmother as well, and I fear she won't be with us for much longer. Reading something like this reminds of the life they left behind and makes you wonder about where they go next, yeah? Hits close to home--those are the best kinds of poems. =`) Cheers.

~CK

renthead96 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm :
Thank you for reading. I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt, and I hope that she becomes well and is indeed with you for many more years. But if not, I really do believe that these people never leave us--their memory and spirit lives in the people they touched.

Again, thank you so much for reading :)

CarrieAnn13 said...

This is a beautiful poem and the message behind it brings tears to my eyes.  I lost my grandmother to cancer, so I can definitely sympathize with this.  Great poem!  There weren't any spelling or grammar mistakes either.

I know it doesn't make much of a difference, but my heart goes out to you for the loss of your aunt.

renthead96 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm :
Thank you so much for reading, and it does make a difference that you care. My heart goes out to you and your grandmother as well. I'm sorry she had to go through that, too. Cancer is a terrible disease, and I only hope that the future holds a cure.

RockGirl182This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

This is beautiful. I have tears in my eyes. 

I also understand this poem well, my grandmother died of cancer ( I wrote an article called, Pancreatic Cancer about her if you want to read it). I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sure that your aunt is up in heaven smiling down on you and your family. Stay strong. 

Put it this way ; she is no longer in pain :) 

renthead96 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 8:32 pm :
Thank you so much! It means a lot to me that you liked it, and I'm sorry for your loss as well. I will definitely take a look at your poem too.

And yes, I know she is :). She was, and still is, an amazing, inspirational, and simply beautiful woman who touched many lives. I know she is always with me. Thanks again for reading!

renthead96 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm :
Whoops, sorry. I meant to say your article, not poem.

RockGirl182This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm :

Haha, no big deal. 

It's a preasure reading this again and again :)

TheGirlWithNoFace replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm :
This is really a great poem! I feel like you were able to write with such honesty and still make your point very clear. I also think the repetition of the last lines really added a lot to it. This is not something that could be faked, I'm sure you have a lot of skill as a writer and admire you for it.