An Ode to Every Body

My belly likes to pronounce itself;
it often demands to be satiated.

My hair does not get along with me;
it flees to earth for shelter.

My flesh tries to grab my attention;
it mocks my shameful diet.

My teeth are like unsolved puzzle pieces;
they whine for someone to solve them.

My skin likes to paint itself in bizarre colours;
exiling me to the walls of my school.

But,

My eyes; they reveal all the beauty within.
They cancel out every flaw and imperfection.
And announce the proud, shocking truth:
I am different, I am beautiful.

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Gorgeous, as I am sure you are. 

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm :
Uniquely written, as always. 

dia.dreamer replied...
Aug. 30, 2011 at 3:38 am :
thanks. I'm not gorgeous, though. I wrote this for everyone, including me. The part about me that's true in this poem is the teeth part, if slightly exaggerated. :)

redhairCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh -  loved the ending!!!! So sweet!

Lola_BlackThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sweet! So far, I'd say this is my favorite poem of yours. My favorite part, aside from the last stanza, was the bit about your skin. Being mixed race with a love of drawing on myself when I get too bored, that actually sounds alot like me!

dia.dreamer replied...
Aug. 21, 2011 at 6:00 am :
haha...well, my friends like drawing on me when they're bored too. :P

Harebelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:00 am:
Oh, wow- I like this one too! I don't know why no one else has commented because it's so good! Great message, and you wrote it really well. I like the part about teeth the best!

dia.dreamer replied...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:05 am :
thanks. :) I've never written poems about self-esteem before, so I'm glad this one turned out good. I hope it made at least someone out there feel better. :D