The Plunge

I am standing on the dock, huddled into a ball of distress. The hypothermic water created encases my body piercing every inch of it. The swimsuit and the fluorescent orange life jacket on me are my only sense of warmth. The sun has been stolen and now replaced with a blanket of dreary clouds. My friends are in the water, urging me to join them. As I stand up, a shock is sent throughout my body. I look at my hands. A violet shade has been drawn across the surface. As I prepare to take a second plunge I stare into the parasitic infested water. I am unable to see the bottom, due to the unsanitary particulates floating about. There is no sign of life below the surface on which my friends float. I jump off the dock, a cool surge of air blows my hair back. Splat. My body enters the ice water once again. I struggle for a breath then relax. I start to talk. My words leave my mouth and end up in every ear around me. This is a good time. I start to feel warmth again. Warmth from my friends who love me the most.