A Writer's Journey

*Once upon a time, there lived a dreamer in the woods.*

The journey will be a lonely one
Along an empty road
Through deserted villages
Alone

*The dreamer drew inspiration from trees and plants and flowers.*

Nobody had a say but me
When I decided this
Seemingly a decade ago
Alone

*The wildlife had a mind of its own, ever so pleasing to the dreamer’s wishes.*

Friends were discouraging
Siblings were indifferent
Parents had no say and so I’m
Alone

*On a butterfly’s trail, the dreamer clutched close to his chest an essential toolbox.*

But I longed for the peace
And for the quiet
Where nobody could haunt me
Alone

*This toolbox was all he needed to survive a world with no people—his imagination.*

Mine ran wild like fire
On dried wood
But I carried on anyway
Alone

*Then the dreamer caught the scene, and his satisfaction grew to overbearing joy.*

How lucky one could be
Even when inside an
Imagined story of mine
Alone.

DeusExMachina said...
Pretty good job! I feel like youre being really honest. One suggestion, I'd much prefer "quotes" to the *asterisks*. I think it makes it feel more poignant, more grown up.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I would have preferred those parts to be italicized, but I see what you mean. Thanks:)

Kev-Girl said...
wow! I have never seen anyone write in this way! I found it very unique! I like it! good job!

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
very cool. It is written in a unique which is always a good thing. However, I don't really like the stars there. I don't know what they are there for, but they are a tad bit unecesssary. BUT that would be my ONLY thing to change, I want you to understand that is a small thing. I really enjoyed this poem. It was very nice and, yes, relateable!

Oh, the part between the stars were to indicate the parts I wanted italicized. :)

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Ah, I see. TI is kind of annoying like that. You'd think that since it is a writing site, you be able to put quotes, italicize, underline,etc! oh well! Gotcha! I liked this poem a lot. By putting this reply, you made me read the poem again! lol

OceanFey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

definitely interesting! I love the * at the beginning. :D

lol we have the same picture for the poem...

dancemaniac said...
great poem! Its different and i like that! and very well written(:

MagicMan2011 said...
This is one of my favorite poems I've read in a while. Good job!

Saysh said...
great poem! i loved this!!!

CoffeeKat said...
This is really quite good! I'm not usually one for poetry because I can't always relate, or some people write it in such a purple-prosey kind of way that I can't always  understand, but this was beautiful! The wording and the imagary was fantastic. Keep writing--I'd love to see where you go. Cheers!
~CK

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is very good. It may not be the absolute most poetic thing in the world but it's so unique and creative with the formatting, and I can see exactly where you're coming from.

booklover04 said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:44 am
love the intresting format with the stars and everything. it was different. unlike what you said, i thought your poetry was very good. dont underestimate yourself lol :)

ElleNicole said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:10 am

I liked this, nice job!

Check out my poem 'Change'? Thanks!

whitstar27 said...
I liked this. I also enjoyed the format.

Laura_Oliver said...
This is really well-written and thought-provoking, but the whole writer's journey part isn't really clear.

Laura_Oliver replied...
oh wait, now I get it! Yay! This is great. (^_^)

AllysonMarie said...
Amazing! I love reading poetry about poetry,art,music or writing!

CarrieAnn13 said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:16 am
This is definitely relatable.  I can't find any mistakes in it either, so god job!  The flow is good and I liked how the story progressed in the aestrisks.  Excellent work!

Alon_Freevoice said...
Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:22 am
I might agree when you said you s.u.c.k at poetry. But this is all the more a creative way. :)