Free of My Cage

I am caged.

Inside the cage, life is

Safe.
Secure.
Happy.

With no where to go.

But,

outside is another story.

Outside the cage, life is

Dangerous.
Wild.
Unpredictable.

It is vast,

endless.

I reach through,

the bars,

Yearning to be

out.

I am in a cage.
It protects me.

And

restricts me.

I grip the bars,

tightly.

Awaiting the day,

I am free,

But I know,

when that day comes,
I will be

reluctant.

Faltering,

for

the cage is all I know.

I will still,

turn,

towards the known,

And

Leave.

KimenSnow said...
Simple yet satisfying.Good work.

sakina said...
It's amazing...:)Loved it..:)

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 8:45 am
Thanks, Sakina! I'm glad you did!

Trilobite This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:32 am
I love the spacing in between.  This is so relatable, but turns something confusing (someone debating whether to leave or not) into something simple.

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:58 am
Thank you Trilobite! I really appreciate your comment :)

JustAnotherOwl said...
I don't mean to sound redundant...But, yes, that was very relatable! (: Great work!

ArgonElement replied...
Your so supportive, Owl! Thanks for all your comments!

Alon_Freevoice said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 4:02 am
I was asking myself the same question:
"We know that you don't want to be in jail because you want to be free. But don't you think, sometimes... no one can hurt you there?"
so I can really, really relate.

--- o ---

By the way, I love what you said about leaving. I told a friend about the same thing. And I'm glad someone has the sam experience with me.

--- o ---

Oh, your poem? Well, it was great... or more than great, if possible. I love it!

ArgonElement replied...

Alon_Freevoice, I am really happy so many people can relate to this. I was refering, not only to a jail, but my home and family. I am safe inside here, but to grow as an individual human being I am going to have to leave them.

And thanks so much!

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is great. I can totally relate to it, and I'm sure many others can too. Keep it up! :)

ArgonElement replied...
Thanks! I'm sure most teenagers feel this way.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really good!!! I love the way you spaced out the phrases. It led to the tone you were showing in the poem. Good job! :)

ArgonElement replied...
Thanks Garnet77! You had some great pieces as well!

WritingSpasms said...
This is pretty good! The spacing is different from the generic poem and I can feel the tone. And the metaphor really speaks to me :)

ArgonElement replied...
Thanks WritingSpasms! Love the username by the way.

FinalFreak This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really cool! This has elements of shape poetry, and you used the spacing very well. If anything, I'd say you might want to play with where you capitalize and punctuate certain words. Some of the 'And's could be lower-cased so they don't take away emphasis from other words. In general though I love the tone created. =)

ArgonElement replied...
Thank you FinalFreak! Your totally right about the "and's" Thanks for your comments!

musicispassion said...
I <3 this it's great and creative I'm good at metaphors to maybe you could read some of my work five out of five stars

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:02 am
Thanks so much! And of course I will!

CarrieAnn13 said...

Okay, this is a great metaphor.  I like the format as well.  Only two criticisms:

1. 'No where' should be 'nowhere' because it is a compound word.

2.  Did you mean "I will still turn towards the unknown..."?  Because the character is leaving, they're going to the unknown, right?