My Parents This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am irate
With my parents

They are unaware
Of how difficult they have made
Poetry
For me

They seem to have forgotten the
number one
Tool
In a poet's arsenal

They seem to have forgotten
That hundreds of poets have
Established
Their craft purely on
Their deleterious and
Stifling childhoods

It would appear that my parents
Are not in support
Of my poetry because they
Do not provide me with
Inspiration
For my writing

They are
Too loving
Too caring
Too supportive
To have much to
Write about

Unfortunately,
I am mentally sane,
Without horrifying childhood scars,
Without deep emotional conflictions,
Without hate and anger pumping through my
Circulatory system

It is a pity
That I have been raised in
An affectionate
Warm, Vibrant, and Encouraging
Community

I will never make it as a poet,
With an exceptional childhood

I have had it
Either my parents afflict me
With these conditions,
Or I will afflict myself

Until then
I must endure
The pain and suffering

And am forced
To have subjects
Such as this
For poems

ksaurus200 said...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:11 am:
I find it rather funny how you complain about your parents loving you too much

Nick-M replied...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:10 pm :
I thought it was slightly tongue-in-cheek, yeah?

C.Michelle1295 said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm:
I like this poem a lot. I happen to write a lot of the tortured soul poems but that's because they are feelings I have been connected to. So whoevers giving you crap because of this poem took what you wrote the wrong way. You have a right to feel the way you feel which is what poetry's about.

TheLiberalist said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 1:59 pm:
You should write an anthology based on your ironically "horrible" loving family.

ChampagneSun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm:
Oh what are we average people to do? Well, clearly dispite your lack of the typical, cliched poetically relvant problems you have still managed to write a really great poem! As a luckily/unluckly average, loved teenage poet myself this brought a smile to my face, so thanks for that and keep up the great poetry! :)

hanajun said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 1:03 pm:
That was quite entertaining. It's unusual how often poets find inspiration in their 'unfortunate' circumstances.

KelliB said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:28 am:

I totally agree with you. I have the exact same problems. How do you write about the horrible things in life when your not horrible parents never exposed you to them. This is brilliant.

*Read mine and I'll read and comment on everyone who does this for me*

Lola_Black said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 9:48 am:
Ha! It's cute! I love how you seem to be chewing your parents out and praising them at the same time. And I love how you managed to take something that's holding you back from writing, and then use that as something to write about! If you don't mind, could you read some of my poems? Thanks :p

chasluther said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:40 am:
Ultimate post. I often think the same way. It has made me realized so many things. Bathroom Remodeling

CyberJJJ said...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:34 am:
I like the juxtaposition you took for the backhanded compliments...I bet your parents loved them too!

Fia-fia said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 6:36 pm:
Wow, this is just insane, quite literally. Amazing and a fantasitc view on everyting. It really makes you think about multiple things... Thank you for posting and i hope to see more of your work! :)

AdiDavis said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:08 am:
I absolutely love this! It brought a smile to my face, and reminded me of many of my "frustrations" with my own parents. 

snoopy276 said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm:
Escape-the-insanity- you said "some poets right of being in love, which is by no means a wound." I don't think it is true that love can't be a wound. If you really love someone it can still hurt- for example if you are not allowed to be together or they do not love you back. Also, I think poems that say love is perfect and fantastic and glorious are just not as interesting as poems that show the conflict. Oh and you said "right" instead of "write." Just saying.

bananapanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:56 am:
This is really funny! It's probably a very common feeling or 'affliction' for many of us strikingly average beings, yet you made it into something unique and clever. Nice job!

subliminal96 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 4:25 pm:
Haha, this was fantastic. Love the clever sarcasm. As is the case with joy, pain can come from any situation.

Rachel said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:38 pm:
This is a great poem - I found it to be sarcastic but it also tells a great story. Excellent writing!

Anny_Grace This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:42 pm:
Wow. I can't tell if ti is sarcastic or serious but I think that it what makes the poem so mysterious and nice to read. And I guess you really are lucky to have such great parents either way.

QN123 said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm:
I don't agree with the message but it is a clever poem. I like it.

callie15 said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm:
This is a wonderful poem, and I totally get it. It seems that a lot of people take things too literally in writing. I to, often times have to explain my writing because no one gets it. I'm a big fan of symbolism. Right now, I'm writing a story in which a daughter is still connected to her mother by the cord. I show this to my friends, and they're all like "Eww, that's gross!" But that was not the point I was trying to get across. I was trying to show that the mother in this story is unwilling to... (more »)

moosiemas said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:13 am:
I do not believe that the pain and suffering one endures in their life has anything to do with the experiences or dreams one may possess. Love, hate, resentment, fright, whatever it may be. It is all a poem, it is all a story, only if you make it to be.

KylieKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm:
This is actually quite witty. This poet is trying to make a point of saying they didn't have a terrible childhood, so they don't have many pivital moments of termoil or chaos to write about. As, in most cases, poets tend to write during climatic or aching times in their life, because an artist contributes to the emotion/subject/incedent, etc., that reaches the deepest emotional chord within them. That's where they find their most inspired work. This poet doesn't have a horific personal story, bu... (more »)