Turtle Shell | Teen Ink

Turtle Shell

By austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

...one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love....I love...I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. -Mr. Darcy

When I am embarrassed
The room feels stuffy
Wringing me out from the inside
Like a pot of scalding water
Being thrown over my body

When I am embarrassed
The words mix themselves up in my mouth
Coming out in an awkward jumble
Until I want to disappear like a turtle
And hide my head in shame

When I am embarrassed
My smooth shell will be a refuge
From the waves of mortifying emotions
And I will cocoon myself safely
In a quiet place where I am just
myself

I wrote this for a creative writing class - it's an extended metaphor poem.

austenite GOLD said...
on Jul. 29 2011 at 11:27 am
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thank you very much! I try to tell it like it is :)

austenite GOLD said...
on Jul. 29 2011 at 11:26 am
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thank you!

on Jul. 28 2011 at 12:05 am
ohmakemeover BRONZE, Centerville, Minnesota

"Touch comes before sight, before speech. It is the first language and the last, and it always tells the truth."- Margaret Atwood

I often feel exactly the same way.  It is so refreshing to read a poem that is honest and a little claustrophobic, not littered with flowery prose and imagery.  You're very good at getting your true, blunt point across while still giving the reader a treat.

ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
I love the metaphor!

Zinaidia SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

\\\"Whatever you are, be a good one.\\\"

Pretty good, you have a big imagination. The whole turtle shell concept is very relate-able. Only suggestion is to save mentioning the title of a poem until the end, it adds suspense. But this one is still very good, with the "myself" at the end. Good job :)

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Haha, thanks very much guys!

JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

I completely agree with the above two...Guess there's not much else to say! Great poem, pleasant read!

Reader101 PLATINUM, Amarillo, Texas

"We're all pretty bizarre, some of us are just better at hiding it." -Andrew Clark(The Breakfast Club)

"Lack of format? Not possible in my opinion. Writing is an art, therefore you do you what you want." -b_gomez114

I agree!!! With the poem and with Mr. Bill... :) its simply perfect. I can relae to every word but I never wouldhave  thought to pull them together like that. You are a great writer! Keep it up! :)

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thanks for reading and commenting!

BillM GOLD said...
BillM GOLD, JACKSONVILLE, Florida
Well developed poem; great 3 stanzas.  Very pleasant read (not too intense) and relateable. Everyone has felt this way, so the metaphor definately made sense. Great work!