Fifteen Seconds.

Fifteen seconds.
Fifteen seconds was all it took to change my life forever.
We were on our way to Pumpers.
Yeah I know, Pumpers?

I was looking out the window..

(BANG)(BAM)(SCREECH)

The scream was excruciating.
The glass went everywhere.
The pitch of the tire was explosive.

Fifteen seconds.
Fifteen seconds was all it took for the eighteen wheeler to take the life of an innocent bystander.

The DUI explained everything.

In the blink of an eye, the man was dead.
It took fifteen seconds to change the world around me.

Fifteen horrifying seconds.

BrightBurningCampeador This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's a good poem, but it's just kind of drab. Like it's just a paragraph and not a poem.

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow...this is really good, very powerful, was this written on personal expierence? because it seems really deep like you had to be there to write it

HaleyDRog. replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 12:29 am
No, it was not a personal experience. Thank you though!

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice imagery! I can picture everything in my mind as I read this. Great job.

HaleyDRog. replied...
Thanks a lot!

lola.loves.stars said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 1:28 am
Alot of imagery :)

HaleyDRog. replied...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:01 am
Thank you!

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 7:21 am
i sort of disagree with JessHaley. I mean I do agree in the sense that its short and vague, but i think that there probably isnt too much personal emotion in those fifteen seconds that you could fill this poem with. the discontinuity that Mariam.J talked about is definitely aslo present, and I like how you did that because it shows how much the narrators mind is racing while all of this is going on around him/her. i think you couldve gone a little more in depth with it, but overall i really like... (more »)

HaleyDRog. replied...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:58 am
Thank you! I really love it when people give me something to think about. Thank for your feddback!

JessHaley said...
This is kind of short and vague, so I;m not sure how much I actually can say about it, but it was generally well written. I hate to say I feel like it lacked a voice. Also, not to say it lacked meaning, more so that it lacked deep personal emotion. Generally good though, and I liked you're moral. Good job

HaleyDRog. replied...
Thank you for your feedback!

Mariam.J said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 10:53 am

I just hope that this didn't really happen :/ (:P)

I actually like the discontinuity of the poem .  It really gives us a sense of what's really racing through your head in those 15 seconds .

Love it ( :

HaleyDRog. replied...
Thank you so much!

cowgirl4ever said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:52 am
Its pretty good. It doesn't have a smooth flow of words, but then that's not nessescary always nessescary. And the point is good...got my heart racing a little, too!

HaleyDRog. replied...
Thank you!

hopelovepain said...
This is good, but I wonder if you could comment a little more on how YOU felt.. hm. Just my personal opinion - great job though! I could almost hear what was happening, and I love the (BANG)(BAM)(SCREECH) 

HaleyDRog. replied...
Thank you, but this wasn't an actual experience so I couldn't tell you how I would feel. Sorry!

CieraDesiree said...

Aw, this is sad. But nicely written

HaleyDRog. replied...
Thanks. I appreciate it!

Shadowrider said...
This is very good, but it could have been a little longer, and you could have added some more detail, but the rhythm and theme were great.