Angela | Teen Ink

Angela

That pale little hand being led to the bedroom
Those corduroy jeans being tossed to the floor
That innocent smile as he leans in to kiss her
The green of her eyes as they lay down for more
The very same eyes I caught reading Harry Potter past their bedtime.

Those bouncy red curls flattened against the bedspread
Twisted and tangled and coated in gel
Those delicate hands exploring his body
Those tiny girl’s hands, that I knew so well
The very same that shook me awake year after year on Christmas morning.

What happened to the little princess?
The cross country runner?
The sweet baby girl?

The science fair champion:
Arching her back and closing her eyes
gasping and panting and
pulling him closer
To the body I held in the hospital.

The clumsy ballerina:
Being rocked back and forth
Going limp with pleasure
Sighing satisfied
With the voice that asked me for a later bed time.

My rosy cheeked child who loved musical theatre
and wore purple sweaters
is gone.

A few weeks ago my best friend and I were sitting at her kitchen table just like we do every Tuesday after school and before play practice. Out of nowhere her mother burst into the kitchen holding the bottle of birth control pills that my friend had been taking behind her back. She didn't yell at my friend for hiding the fact that she'd been having sex from her, nor did she break into tears. She just stared at her daughter for the longest time with this penetrating expression on her face. For days it haunted me it was confused, wounded--indescribable. The pain I found in her eyes was my inspired this poem.

Note: The poem is entitled 'Angela' after the woman who's face inspired me. This name has been changed to protect her identity, and that of my friend.

Marlyre PLATINUM, Kalamazoo, Michigan

"when you cry, do you waste your tears?" Madonna

i was thinking if anything, the mom should be ecstatic whe found birth control pills instead of a prgnancy test

dreamscapes said...
i also agree also its been going on for centuries in the time of shakespear it was common for 13 year old girls to have babies, and truthfully, why is it really that big of a deal, it's there choice and one that others shouldn't make for them, but i do respect your opinion and your writing is beautiful

Marlyre PLATINUM, Kalamazoo, Michigan

agreeed. this is a well done poem with crisp imagery that provokes emotion, but saying it is sad defeats the purpose. everyone has done things behind their parents backs, so this really not all that different

windywillow said...
I can relate to this poem. It is both sad and good. Keep writing

thankfate SILVER, HELLO WISCONSIN!!!, Wisconsin
5 stars. So sad, but a great piece; keep writing!

Ddog said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 7:13 am
Amazing!! I give it 5 stars. Keep writing:)

EkeBont BRONZE said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 4:04 am
EkeBont BRONZE, Glasgow, Other
Really sweet, and it was interesting to see this perspective. Although I'm not usually a fan of poetry as much as stories or novels, I really liked this :) great job! 5/5

on Jun. 29 2011 at 3:27 am
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Honestly, I think the mother probably feels worse that she was hiding the whole thing from her. That she was lying.

But anyways, that was very well written. 4.5/5

RainingTears BRONZE, Memphis, Tennessee
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

"In the end, it will not be the words of our enemies, But the ♥silence♥ of our friends"

-It wasent until 2011 that I found out MLK said that (>_<)

Your amazing author. And I hope all is well for your friend and her mother now

mgraves GOLD said...
mgraves GOLD, St. Louis, Missouri
Lighten up, everyone. Children grow up and parents know that. I'm sure this poem is a very apt description of how the mother felt, but frankly these comments are a little damatic.

K.M.S.Shear BRONZE, Cherokee, Iowa

"Some people think writing is a waist of their time. For me it’s a way to draw an image of myself through the painting of words."

I see your points. It is sad for the mother.The teen has to make her own chioces that will bring consequences. The mother is the sad part but I belive its her life and she can do what she wants. I'm saying what she did is wrong because it is. I'm looking at the teens point of view when i wrote it sad yet isnt.

K.M.S.Shear BRONZE, Cherokee, Iowa

tayleeeeeeeer SILVER, Laplata, Maryland

Sometimes good things fall apart, so better things can fall together.

5 stars.

You really related. I loved it.

writingmagic26 BRONZE, Eureka, Missouri
This is so sad, but so true.  Never stopping to think about the consequences. . .

brianna11396 said...
that was an amazing poem it really is wonderful

WeAllBurn PLATINUM, Vermilion, Ohio

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~Mahatma Gandhi

i know this sounds clich'e but this was a very deep poem.

loved it (:

fanleto said...
i loved your poem. its very touching. keep on writing peoms like this. all the best. god bless you.

myLovelyFather GOLD, Grand Rapids, Michigan

And that's the thing about the future. It's unknown, unknowable, but before you know it, you're there.

this is beyond what most  teens already having se.x think about. i mean, clearly, if this 'child' knew what she was doing to her mother, then she wouldn't be doing this behind her back. at least, i hope not. if she has a heart, she'll apologize. i don't even know her, but i apologize that 'Angela' must go through this. :,(

WaterGirl23 BRONZE, Nutley, New Jersey

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." -William Shakespeare

i think all teens having se.x behind their parents back should read this poem. most teens don't realize the effect it has on their parents. this is the very main reason why me & boyfriend are waiting to have se.x

The~Watcher said...
on Jun. 7 2011 at 11:53 am
No, very sad. Teens who start having se.x almost never realize that there are consequences- and not just for them. This poem is very well written- I feel so sorry for that mother.