Angela | Teen Ink

Angela

That pale little hand being led to the bedroom
Those corduroy jeans being tossed to the floor
That innocent smile as he leans in to kiss her
The green of her eyes as they lay down for more
The very same eyes I caught reading Harry Potter past their bedtime.

Those bouncy red curls flattened against the bedspread
Twisted and tangled and coated in gel
Those delicate hands exploring his body
Those tiny girl’s hands, that I knew so well
The very same that shook me awake year after year on Christmas morning.

What happened to the little princess?
The cross country runner?
The sweet baby girl?

The science fair champion:
Arching her back and closing her eyes
gasping and panting and
pulling him closer
To the body I held in the hospital.

The clumsy ballerina:
Being rocked back and forth
Going limp with pleasure
Sighing satisfied
With the voice that asked me for a later bed time.

My rosy cheeked child who loved musical theatre
and wore purple sweaters
is gone.

A few weeks ago my best friend and I were sitting at her kitchen table just like we do every Tuesday after school and before play practice. Out of nowhere her mother burst into the kitchen holding the bottle of birth control pills that my friend had been taking behind her back. She didn't yell at my friend for hiding the fact that she'd been having sex from her, nor did she break into tears. She just stared at her daughter for the longest time with this penetrating expression on her face. For days it haunted me it was confused, wounded--indescribable. The pain I found in her eyes was my inspired this poem.

Note: The poem is entitled 'Angela' after the woman who's face inspired me. This name has been changed to protect her identity, and that of my friend.

Laura_Oliver GOLD, Manchester, Connecticut
This is really amazing. I'm not old enough yet to hear of friends doing that, so this is kind of a warning to me. Message received. Plus I would really appreciate if you could check out my other poems and leave some feedback.

ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Wow, I really love this. For one, the meaning is amazing. The flow is great. The imagery too! Very well written. Overall brilliant poem[:

. said...
This is beautiful! The description on the side really helped.

Ashley Mason BRONZE, Sturbridge, Massachusetts
What an excellent poem. I would appreciate your comments on my poem, Briar Rose

Bambi67 SILVER said...
Bambi67 SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

remember that the future comes one day at a time.
Dean Acheson

this is great!

Angie.Hudak GOLD, Doylestown, Pennsylvania

"Hope for the best, expect the worst."
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." -Bob Marley

I am totally in love with this poem. I did the same thing, went behind my mother's back to have s.ex. And it soon spiraled out of control...but that's a different story. You're an amazing writer. If you get the chance, check out some of my writing. It's about the same kind of situations!

Rarity said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 11:25 am
yes, but not every child becomes s. active before marriage...maybe the parent wasn't expecting for her child to take that step just yet.

Duckie430 said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 9:27 am
Duckie430, Riverside, Rhode Island

“The secret to life is being who you are and being happy with who you are.”
"Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger."

great poem!

on Jul. 21 2011 at 9:17 am
CookeysAndCream SILVER, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."-Augusten Burroughs

The comparisons were great, and you did a great job with the mother's perspective. It's very strong. Keep it up!

on Jul. 21 2011 at 7:36 am
GenevieveR BRONZE, Anonymous, Ohio
Great poem! 4/5 I agree it's sad but only because the teen went behind Angela's back and wasn't honest to her mother about her decision in becoming s.exually active, so it hurt A's feelings. But every parent must go through this when their child becomes s. active.. feelings of "losing" their child, etc.

VitaLoyal GOLD said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 12:35 am
VitaLoyal GOLD, Warrrenville, Ohio

IAM SOMEBODY BECUZ EVERYONE IS SOMEBODY.love is a state of mind

I think it is very good.and you should like make it longer.

hallie523 said...
hallie523, Seattle, Washington
i loved the comparisons of the things she did as a child and having sex and how you connected them with her eyes and hands and being a ballerina. I liked how you went back and forth between memories and imagining in a really fluid way. Can you comment on my poems? (some are still pending approval)

thecape196 BRONZE, Oviedo, Florida

The problem with not having a goal is you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score

that was an amazing poem!!! keep writing please! and if you have time can you review my work? thank you so much(:

inkers GOLD said...
on Jul. 10 2011 at 1:06 am
inkers GOLD, Midland, Texas

"And the lamplight gloating o'er him threw his shadow on the floor... and my soul from out that shadow... shall be lifted, nevermore!" - Poe

This is very strong, and well written. The rythm added so much to this. Very well done. <3

Ellimee Pawn said...
I love how you turned one of your experiences into something everyone can understand. I feel the sorrow so deeply, you must be close to an adult!

aubs126 PLATINUM, Charlton, Massachusetts

"We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "

Tennyson

Wow! That was amazing! I could really feel the emotion in that peice! Keep writing :)

Joele12 said...
on Jun. 30 2011 at 11:15 am
wow being caught taking birth control pills without your mom making a fuss about it makes you feel alot more worse taking behind her back. the look that mom gave her would probably haunt me too. but you did a god job inspiring it into a talented poem. keep up the good work.

paperandpen SILVER, Hutchinson, Minnesota

Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering. St. Augustine

amaaazing poem..

topofmylungs BRONZE, Windham, Maine

For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

Wow. Thats all I have to say. 

Annabelle294 SILVER, Branford, Connecticut
I love the way you juxtaposed the whole scenario and made it into one captivating poem.