Nightmare

Sometimes I close my eyes,
and try to dream a happy dream.
But all that appears are lies.
And when I picture butterflies they never fly away until I go and chase them and end up losing my way.
I try to open my eyes but your image is burned in too deep.
I start to bite my lip so that I don’t say a peep.
When I finally open my eyes I crawl out to my roof.
Looking at the stars and thinking about when I’ll see you next will usually calm my nerves
But tonight I’m just too hyper and the roof is just so wet that I lose my footing and look down, which I regret.
I heard a voice next to me and I recognized her face.
I look up to where I slipped and saw your grim face. You stuck out you and but to my dismay someone grabs it first. You pull her up and act so tough and watch as I fall so fast. When I finally hit the ground you have her in your arms. She giggles and you laugh no one’s going to say me today. I closed my eyes screamed and screamed until I heard a voice shake me and say “Colleen are you ready to get up and go to school today?”

Dewwagner This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:02 am
i think you should break up the poem more,  I think it would give the words more power. You could also work on the ending its a little bland. Otherwise excelent poem.

Colleenxoxo replied...
Thank you for your commments. It's nice to have some advice! I'm glad you liked it!