I'm a Man not a Killer | Teen Ink

I'm a Man not a Killer

By JaredB BRONZE, Broomall, Pennsylvania
JaredB BRONZE, Broomall, Pennsylvania

The hardest part of ending is starting again

I stand across from the enemy gun in the air, looked at his eye into them I stare, I just closed my eyes and dropped my gun, I started to cry and said I'm done, I looked at the man his gun still aimed at me, I yelled shoot me this isn't who I want to be, I cried "I'm not a murderer, I can't kill anymore strangers", I yelled I'm nothing like the normal army rangers, I walked towards the man and I dropped to my knees, I cried I'm a killer shoot me please, The man raised his gun but threw it away, he stared me in the eyes and had one thing to say, so he took my hand and looked me in the eyes, and said to me "good men don't deserve to die", So he picked up his gun and the man walked away, in my mind he's been my best friend since that very day, I don't know who he was and I know I never will, but on that day we both decided we truly didn't want to kill, on that day we both could of shot each other, but on that day we realized we'd be killing our brother, on that day we realized that war was wrong, on that day we discovered who was strong, in my eyes we were the ones who knew what was right, we were strong enough to realize we didn't need to fight, so since that day I never picked up my gun, I let it lay there to burn in the sun, and every year I go back to the place where my gun lay, to remind me why I don't fight anymore to this very day

This is about war. I personally want to join the army one day but I have a very anti-war side of me to. This piece is just about how I believe war needs to stop because we are all brothers and sisters in this world. So I hope everyone enjoys this!