Ununderstood This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By , Merrimca, MA
You don't understand.
All those things
that I told you?
They didn't just happen.
I made them happen
everyday.
Thought about it and
nodded my head
and decided it's a good idea
to press a knife
so hard into my skin that

it didn't stop

I'd kneel in front
of the bowl and lift the
cold, sticky cover up,
wondering who'd used it last
while my fingers climbed down
my throat, reaching for something
that I never did find
in the end.

kksbrnnThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I downloaded the Teen Ink Mobile Poetry app, where you can select poems that fit your current mood. I'm not sure if I picked something along the lines of "Sad" but I found this poem. I can easily say that this is a wonderfully touching poem that many people can relate to and the simplicity of your words really bring out the message. Excellent job!

FeedTheBirds said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 12:47 am

I meant this quote: "Thought about it and
nodded my head
and decided it's a good idea"

It's excellent because a lot of people don't understand how someone resorts to self harm. You don't explain the circumstances behind the SH but I love the simple clarity behind the fact that it was a decision and then executed.

FeedTheBirds said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 12:45 am

Love the poem.

Is the title an error or did you mean to spell it that way?

I especially like the "I thought it was a good idea" and the way you end the second stanza.

overall, well done.

hurshikissx3 replied...
Thank you :3 the title is not an error, its of course not a word but I meant it as, the speaker feels like they are not understood by the person they tried to confess to.