Gravity of the Soul

Feel that hand gripping your foot?
You, my friend, think so hard you overshoot,
Landing behind where you started,
And beyond the answer’s end.

Lift your spirit to the sky and close the eye,
Focus towards the key-stone,
The bridge of your mind awaits you,
Hand the coat, meal plan, and cash to the butler.

You will not be returning soon.

Focus towards the key-stone,
Your eyes will meet the dull burn,
An adversary for most,
A friend to others.

The burn turns to constant wave,
A rush of warmth envelopes the mind,
And allows you to see clearly.

Venture into the caves you find,
Push forth into their form,
While the cascade erupts around them.

Now that you can understand,
Ask yourself,
Who Am I?

Let me know when you find out,
For I have searched these wells,
And returned with cottonmouth,
Thirsting for more.

eliana924 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this poem, but your comment completely changes what I think about it. I originally liked the unusual use of second person, but now I see how it's a lot more literal than I firs thought. Maybe you could play around with it so that it has more meaning than just instructions on meditation.

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is wonderful! Meditation is a great thing. In the life we lead these days, people are too busy to just stop and worship. Meditation isn't thinking, to me anyway. It's a complete silence. a silence for God to come into your life. The meaning, once again, is amazing in this poem! absolutely brilliant!

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i too, love that cottonmouth line. You always want more when you have finally realized what a wonderful thing you have found. (GOD)

ritabelle511 said...
This poem is simply amazing (actually, that applies to ALL of your poems!). I really enjoy how simply worded each stanza is, and how even with its seeming simplicity, the poem packs a punch with its meaning!

CarolynQ said...
The ending was outstanding, not to deminish the rest of the piece because the too was outstanding, but I love how you make the reader question themself and your last stanza was my favorite I really loved that line "For I have searched these wells, And I have returned with cottonmouth, Thirsting for more." Such an amazing line that implies you are still searching for yourself, very relatable and very deep. MAGNIFICANT.