You Had My Heart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

I ran into you at the supermarket
After a chunk of time had passed
A lifetime ago
Was beach walking and movie watching
And summer skin and tan toes
And you and me
Promising never to let go

You said I had something, it may have been yours
It was big and red and I swear it had a pulse
It looked kind of like a heart
But you know that's ridiculous

Anyway, you must have dropped it in my pocket
The first time we kissed
You know that summer was so long ago
I would have told you sooner, but like I said
The summer was oh so long ago, and I just recently found it
I do hope it wasn't dreadfully important
That trivial thing I found
I didn't know that it was yours

I'm afraid I broke it.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2011 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

asofnow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:03 am:
AHHHHH so good! Where do you get your amazing ideas from? Teach me? ;)

SElahi said...
This poem is the definition of "show, don't tell". Keep up the good work!

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:27 am:
This was like a movie---I could just picture the scene. The flow and rhythm of this poem was unexpected. I loved it~

Ahmad-Mobeen said...
Jan. 10, 2012 at 9:18 am:
Awesome work dude! =D

SuNshiNe007 replied...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:44 am :
Wow! i love this:) Great Job!! And keep up the great Job!

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ok, I'll admit it, at first I wasn't a huge fan of this one. But then I thought about it more, and I realized that I really liked the trickling and wandering flow of this. Nice job :)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm:
This was so good! I've never been much of a poet, and I don't read many, but I actually really liked the way you made it flow. Good job! :)

Beachgirl1 said...
Apr. 14, 2011 at 9:39 am:
This poem is fantastic. I keep reading it over and over. Great flow, great work. Congrats on getting published :)  u should be proud!

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 7:30 am:
great work congrats on having it published

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 7:34 am :
Thanks! :D

AshTree said...
I really like this and the way it leads up to it. Yeah you remember that heart right? well, um, I'm afraid I broke it... awkward silence.

Nov. 12, 2010 at 8:59 pm :
haha Thanks!  I would give anything to see this dude's face XD

Phoenix97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sooo, the second stanza didn't seem to fit until the end, but taken as a whole it all makes sense. I like this. The awkwardness is endearing, like the author doesn't really understand what she broke and is trying to apologize for it. Good work here.

Nov. 11, 2010 at 9:56 pm :
Thanks!  I like to picture this scene - I think it would be rather comical. lol

MayaElyashiv This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I really really like this! It's so...surreal, in an "Alice and Wonderland" type way. Like those awesome oil paintings of fantasy lands...

When I read it, nothing jumped out at me as "not right" which tends to happen a lot to me in poetry. I really hope this gets published!

Sept. 15, 2010 at 3:32 pm :
Thank you!  I have never considered myself 'poetically inclined', so it means a lot!

DindellaAmagu said...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 7:01 am:

Not bad! I give it five stars for the emotion. I've never quite felt exactly like in this poem; I've never had a boyfriend or anything like that. But I know what it's like to tell someone something that might break their heart, so I can relate.

This poem is nicely written. I enjoyed reading it.

I encourage you to keep up the great work, alright?

Sept. 13, 2010 at 7:05 am :
Thank you!  I've never had a boyfriend either, so I really have no idea where this came from, but I'm glad you like it! :)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 4:56 pm :
This is really good! Have you ever been published? You have talent! Love the emotion and flow!

Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:38 am :
Thanks so much, Angel! :D It means a lot. :) And unless you count writing a kid's story with five other people as part of a school club, no, I haven't been published.  One can always hope though! :D