We Are Animals

They gather together to watch the others do things they can't.
They fight over mates, food, and space.
They are constantly trying to "one up" eachother, always trying to be better than the one before.
They spend time with their own kind, but when one of their own kind is out of place they ignore them.
They spend their entire lives either trying to grasp every concept under the sun, or disregarding everything that has been offered to them.
They can't function as a whole without a leader, but can never all be happy with the ones that take charge.
They lie to eachother, they steal from eachother, they cheat eachother.
We are the human race.

TuesdayGril This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

thanks brown eyed susan :) i appreciate your comment :) no you didn't offend me, rather the opposite actually.

i do realize that i need to write one that can put more of a positive light on our societies.

i will get on that :)

love you!

brown-eyed susan said...
Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:25 am
Hi Anne, I enjoyed your poem but it does not reflect your positive energy and happy, productive spirit.  I rather see you fighting to put off the "natural man," reaching out to others ignored or less popular.  To me, you are an example of what we should be.  Love GS

aDreamer said...

so so true! i love reading stuff like this, it really opens eyes. awesome job!

read some of mine? :)

Anne B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thanks tons guys!! my gosh its so nice to hear such positive stuff!! i love it! thanks for supporting my work! :D

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 11:47 am
god this is too true, heres a saying you might like, even if you win the rat race your still a rat

Crying_Tears replied...

Or there is this...

I am fond of pigs.

Dogs look up to us.

Cats look down.

Pigs treat us as equals.

-Winston Churchill

meli-meli said...
Hey, This is nice I like it a lot! wonderful imagery, please come check out my stuff!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is all very true, and I love the message that you are conveying by writing this poem. We are this primitive, in a sense. However, it can't be denied that we are also a beautiful species, as I think all animals are. Thanks for writing!

TuesdayGril This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Yes, i realize this is a fairly negative look at our species. It's not how i see it all the time. I do agree with you, we are an incredible and beautiful species!