Dark and Light

I am the lonely darkness and arrogant light

I wonder when the brightness will conquer the crawling black
I hear the emptiness crying
I see it creeping towards the glow
I want them to embrace and share

I pretend they understand each other
I feel their deep reluctance to change
I touch the tender borders

I worry they can’t fare together
I cry that I may never know their fate

I understand their eternal feud
I say it doesn’t make a whit of sense
I dream that their enmity culminates in blood
I try to protect each from the other
I hope one day they will exist as one

riley... said...
i quite enjoyed this poem. calling the light arrogant was brilliant. nice job :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks! I always believe that light is portrayed to grandly, and darkness to poorly, so in this poem it's a bit switched around.

clairexaudrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked this. In my mind, while reading this, I kept seeing the splash of both extremes trying to engulf the other. I also like how you open up about yourself. The best writers aren't afraid to tell the truth. Really, amazing job.

Thanks! I try to be as expressive and honest in my writing as possible.

toflyaway said...
Great imagery! Really interesting. It's great that you kinda took a different spin on things, unique writing is always what makes a great writer :)

Thanks!  Yeah, I was kind of tired of the light always being the good guy and the dark always being the bad guy, so I sort of switched them.

--LoveHappens-- said...
I like how you used arrogance to describe light and loneliness to describe darkness. It is very interesting but great job

Thanks!  I think it's unfair how the light is always pictured as the good guy, and the darkness as bad, so in this poem, I switched it up.

Just wondering--do you think you could possibly check out the novel I've posted on here, Red as Coals, Black as Night?

Blood-of-Ink This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I really like this, especially how the dark is see as so lonely. That's the feeling I always get, so it's nice to find someone who shares my views. You have to keep writing!

Thanks for the comment, too! :)

No problem:)Thanks for commenting.  I actually had to write this for school, it's nice to know that it's decent.  And as for the lonely darkness--I've always thought of how unfair it is that the light is pictured as so good while the darkness is evil, so in my poem it's the arrogant light and the lonely darkness.