Ownership of My life | Teen Ink

Ownership of My life

By Humble_Exit5 BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Humble_Exit5 BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

“Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.”-Oscar wilde

I’m not the captain of this vessel; I’m not the owner of this life. I have no possession of this voyage or life. My desires and longings are not my own. I have become a stranger to this person I use to know. Happiness and pleasure are unknown. My hopes and dreams are descendents of your mainstream. I glance at the reflection of a non-existing person, only true to your beliefs and life you want for me. Am I not allowed to take steps into world of my own? Am I not allowed to let my mind steep to new heights of bliss? Am I not allowed to bloom out of this shadowed I have been living in? Am I not allowed ownership?

This Piece is about feeling like you have no control over your life and what you desire. I'm 19 and a college student and i feel that my wants and dreams get over shadowed by other people in my life hopes and dreams for myself. I sometimes feel that ownership of my life and granted to other people.