False Face, Hidden Heart | Teen Ink

False Face, Hidden Heart

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.
The way you act reflects who you are;
Or who you're not.
Your secrets are withheld in your heart;
And shouldn't be shown on your face.
Your heart knows the truth.
Your heart knows the full truth.
If face must show it,
It need not be a secret.
Disguise, I challenge you,
What is kept in your heart.
Cover secrets from your face.
Hide them from their view.
Do not tell a lie,
But don't show the truth.

"False face must hide what the false heart doth know." Shakespeare's words somehow truck with me and inspired me to write my poem. Somehow they gave me ideas that eventually turned into what I thought was my best piece of writing this year.
The number one thing I appreciated about this assignment was the fact that two lines were given to you, provided you had a line in mind you wanted to use. If it had not been for that line, I wouldn't have created this poem. I could have never thought up such a line as "false face must hide what the false heart doth know."
Another reason I liked this poem is because of the last two lines I wrote. I enjoy ending a poem or story with words to think on and I think that's exactly what I did. The lines, "do not tell a lie, but don't show the truth," leave the reader thinking either about what in the world that means or that they agree or disagree.
If I'm not sure of anything, I'm sure of one thing . . . that intrigued readers will like my poem. Fascinated readers will enjoy the thought process that is used to get through the peom.