What is Life?

What is Life?
Life is like a river, the joy and tears they deliver
Though chances may be slim,
You need to succeed:
swim upstream to get your dream
Parting from a controlling friend
Journeying down world’s end
If happiness is what life shows none
If someone close to you is gone
Prove yourself you can move on
As river flows and Life goes on

paigeforeman This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

First of all, beautiful poem. I love the message in here and it shows that you can remain strong even after all you have been through. I also like that you're only trying to prove that you can move on and still go upstream to yourself and not to anyone else, which requires a lot of strength.

My favorite line: Swim upstream to get your dream. Why? It shows that in order to achieve you have to lose. So in order to stay true to yourself and your dream, you have to work harder than ot... (more »)

Abby:) This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 7:58 am

This is a lovely poem. I'm sorry you had to go through so much.

My interpretation: exactly what it says. to move on. to let some things go, to let somethings remain unsaid. for time will wash it all away-- prove you can go against the current, prove you can pave your own path in life. :)

heroic7wicked said...
My favorite line from this poem is the following: "Journeying down world's end". The phrase seems little-used.

heroic7wicked replied...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 9:52 am
But, I noticed a typo in the poem. The "L" in the third word "Life" is not capitalized.

heroic7wicked said...
I wrote this poem after a week of several incidents: a fight between my lifelong friend (who I stopped contacting since), the death of my grandmother who wrote witty poems (which I shall post soon), and a high school in my town sending me a letter of rejection due to my deafness. This poem tells me to move on. I'm curious about the readers' interpretation.