Lest We Wake The SLeeping Child

When quite sleep and sound aloft,
You won’t hear the bombs go off
Your corpse will dry and decompose
Before it has a chance to rot.
While you wait for your wounds to heal
All of your scabs will begin to peel,
And scorch under a sun that haunts you
While you try to pretend this isn’t real.
Among oak trees you see yourself tall
Always condescending and looking down.
Battered bruised and beaten down.
Tell me how tall are you now?
Who have you been seeking out
Who will save you when this begins
Where were you hiding when this started
And where will you go once this ends.
How on earth will you start anew
And who will you go running to
Who is going to build you up
When none of your roots pull through.
What you need is a place to sleep,
To recoup and shake this off.
Perhaps you can stay with me,
While you recoup and shake this off.
I know you’ve been through a lot.
Your soul is wretched and withered.
All your life you’ve been a boiling pot.
Remove the top and let it simmer.
Wipe that pale face from your face
Because my place is your new place
Now remove your ears and turn them off
So you wont hear the bombs go off.

Aderes18 said...
It's extremely depressing thinking about this happen to a child...

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
well, its actually about a failed relationship but, okay.

Aderes18 replied...
A relationship? Seriously? As I was reading this poem, I kept seeing an image of a child in Afghanistan sleeping while bombs were going off. 

I apologize for that. the bomb symbolizes something goingwrong in the relationship

Aderes47 replied...
Oh. I actually like the poem with my interpretation better. I like it a different way than you do, it's what happens to artists. :)

. replied...
Said the girl who couldnt relate

Aderes47 replied...
(giggle) :)

DreamWriter15 said...
I wish more people wrote like you.  Enough said.

Jun. 20, 2010 at 3:28 am
me too, only because it would help me better understand myself, or confuse me to the death.

DreamWriter15 replied...
yes, some people write about roses and blood and heartbreak and tears and through it all they really meant that they dropped their beer can and had to throw it out....pathetic use for poetry

that's just about everything on teenink, but there are a few on here that......

DreamWriter15 replied...
that........what?  (this could get annoying very fast)

(i'll name them if you really want to go there).......that aren't what you said, just a few. not annoying captain:)

DreamWriter15 replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:39 am
oh, duh (again)

....right.....

DreamWriter15 replied...
I'm sorry, I can't help it if I'm dumb and strange!

Jul. 1, 2010 at 3:06 am
you're not dumb and strange, I just like not saying much when i dont know what to say. i didnt mean "right" like "yeah you idiot", i meant it like"right" "so whats next", or"so what do i do with this giant ostrich-hound they just gave me...

DreamWriter15 replied...
This is a situation where one would say "speaking of mushrooms" and totally change the subject....it's an old family thing, and it works every time!

what exactly are we trying to accomplish? you could just say"now i'm going to change the subject".

DreamWriter15 replied...
I could...but then that would be implying that your words were pointless, and that's not very nice