Return

An omniscient moon lingers above decaying homes
Cold wintry air shrouding the bleak landscape
Cobblestones run through every street and ally
Putrescent signs swaying in the silent night

Ceres slowly walked through these familiar paths
Her footsteps echoing throughout the deserted village
Heart beating slowly falling to her knees
She wept softly in the icy breeze

Buried within the fine dust and rubble
Ceres unearthed a cerulean hand crafted pillow
With her family insignia embellished in the corner
Painfully she silently read aloud “Welcome Home”

lunaEccentric said...

I loved the connection you made with Ceres. (Once I googled her...)

I was a bit confused by the ending and wished you would continue the story, but it was written beautifully.

Were you personifying a rennaisance with Ceres or was the name just used because you thought it fit? I was just wondering how far you wanted the connection between your character and the goddess to go?

Evanescent replied...
Well im Wiccan yet I chose to center myself around two eities instead of just one and I picked Ceres as one of my deities. And one night i had a dream where i was her and walked through this deserted town which turned out to be her hometown. i wanted to continue this into a short story but my dream ended after I saw her pillow :(

lunaEccentric replied...

Now that I know this was based off of a dream it makes more sense. Or as much sense as dreams can make.

It's still a haunting story whether or not your audience fully understands it. I think that's the way it is and should be with poetry. A reader never gets the same experience that you did while writing, but they can still be moved by what you wrote.

Evanescent replied...
I agree and i think deep down every poet wishes to have ppl understand where they r coming from and what was their inspiration but not everyone cares or understands the poet well enough to do that. They can only sense emotions that the poet weaved into his or her work