To An Ex-Boyfriend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

So you stumbled back into town
wearing a worn college T-shirt
and a new smirking swagger I didn't recognize.
No eye contact as he strolls to the back of the restaurant with a painted half-grin,
and greets the group I sit with.
They knew him too, probably better than I ever did.
And when he turns his face toward me, with a guarded nod to show some recognition, a greeting both casual and careful, it was like nothing ever happened between us. Like I was still that nervous freshman who always tried to start a conversation and he was the nervous boy that sometimes paid attention. Right back where we started.
But in his face I can see
a glimmer of recognition.
Perhaps for a moment he remembered us hand in hand, slowly pacing an abandoned beach because we had nothing better to do.
Or for an instant, he recalled the nervous and excited chill when we were locked out of his house at midnight, when the inky grass was soupy with March dew.
When he sees me now, months later, his fixed smile is polite, but purposeful. A brief encounter heavy with anticipation that left my head feeling like a wet white cotton ball, so matted and void.
But in his face I see a glimmer of recognition.

Maybe wishful thinking.

Shelbs13 said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm:
this is amazing. i loved it! keep writing

sparkofheart said...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm:
omg that was awesome its totally relatable! great job :)

maRAWR This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:08 pm:
totally been there! im so glad im over looking for self-worth in the arms of guys.  great poem!

TUBBZ-6This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 30, 2010 at 12:58 am:

i so love this poem you really got it i know how you feel