What is War? | Teen Ink

What is War?

By Ateri SILVER, Blaine, Minnesota
Ateri SILVER, Blaine, Minnesota

"In writing, you must kill all your darlings.”-William Faulkner

Our slow descent into madness.

The click, tick of a bullet torn clock as our time winds down.

An explosion in our lands and in our heads,

by our hands we have killed the imperceptible- the will, the passion, the love and the people.

I hate War.

One mass of desperate bodies huddled behind rubble and with each other watch with pensive eyes for the next missile.

Another mass of desperate bodies watches too-from the TV screen-huddled around a couch and clutching a remote, hoping this ad ends soon.

The battles rage on in some parts of the world and some parts of our minds and some parts of our hearts.

War is hell.

Between prolonged inhalations and spiraled tails of cigar smoke, the politicians dote over their newborn War.

It is young now, but it will soon grow in strength, in size and in money.

“Peace is unprofitable, peace is passive, but War is a bang for your buck, a bang to their wit, a bang to their skulls, a bang, bang, bang,”

the politicians say between candid smiles and tell-all conferences.

I will wage War.

A fire rages among the looted store fronts and mingles with the broken glass.

On the battlefield, a mob of revolutionaries protesting some War shove calloused palms over swollen eyes in an attempt to protect themselves from tear gas and use the other hand to throw molotovs.

One rebel raises his head towards heaven.

The full moon and its silver light spills into the slits between his fingers as he grabs his phone and begins to record.

And as he uploads the video on to Twitter, he thinks he is Truth.

On the other side, the police stand with riot shields and tear gas and varicose hands hovering above their hand guns.

One officer grips his gun and scratches his head and wonders how much overtime pay this is worth.

The difference between the two men?

One is a fool, the other is a fool.

The saint, the soldier, the rebel, the w***e-we are all the same brain-drained apathetic holes,

empty as a world at War.