Ode to the Weary Math Student | Teen Ink

Ode to the Weary Math Student MAG

Math Student
Woe to the math student,
In an advanced class,
Who tries oh so hard,
And yet can’t seem to pass
The equations are evil,
The numbers, nonsense
And all the test grades
Contain dark suspense

Woe to the math student,
A slave to the book
Odd answers are in back –
Oh so tempting to look
Who studies for hours,
And stares at the page,
The body is paralyzed,
But inside, so much rage

Woe to the math student,
Doomed to the grave,
If surviving to the bell,
The soul may be saved,
But oh, when returned home
There awaits homework,
The student, in despair,
Calls the teacher a jerk

Woe to the math student
Who will surely die
The numbers are deadly,
And no one knows why
The brain has shut down,
The body is weak,
And oh, what’s awaiting
In math class next week?

I wrote this poem last year after becoming frustrated with my pre-calculus work.

on Aug. 16 2010 at 11:18 am
poeticspirit12334 PLATINUM, Groesbeck, Texas

Wearing a Christian T-shirt, and a cross necklace does NOT make you a Christian. , "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord "They are plans to give you a hope and a future.'' Jeremiah 29:11

Sorry i had a few grammer mistakes here is what i meant to say:

I hate math so much... im  in advanced classes and my teacher is  a huge jerk. You know, its hard to take instructions from somone who yells shut up all the time and is soooo rude when unless your mom or another adult is around and u see her at,um i dont know maybe, WALMART she is so nice and asks if you know where the "sun dried tomatoes are" when your mom is nezxt to you and then you find them and take them to her and she goes... "its about time"UGGGG...what a jerk!? rite i no!! sorry any way i added this as one of my favs!! great job!

on Aug. 16 2010 at 11:16 am

I hate math so much... im  in advanced classes and my teacher is  a huge jerk. You know, its hard to tske instructions from somone who yells shutup all the time and is soooo rude when when your mom or another adult is around and u see her at,um i dont know maybe WALMART she is so nice and asks if you know where the "sun dried tomatoes are" UGGGG..... sorry any way i added this as one of my favs!! great job!

on May. 21 2010 at 11:01 am
angellovesyou BRONZE, Ruskin, Florida

keep on going, never give up.

i hate math with a burning passion!!!

Swindlewick SILVER, ..., Washington

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

You pretty much summed up the feeling of math class. Hopelessness, weakness, torture... :)

lol poem is awsome but unlike you my math teacher is a jerk and she is the wrost . :(

blippi SILVER said...
blippi SILVER, Two Rivers, Wisconsin

"the words the happy say are but paltry melody, but those the silent feel are beautiful"-Emily Dickinson

Im advanced in all my classes! But math just does not make any sense!!! This poem is just how I feel!

Lord_Limitless BRONZE, New Bern, North Carolina
i'm failing my math class with a 53%, and i'm in all honors classes. i gotta bring dat up, don't i? oh well. kudoz, to u.

Jessica L said...
on Feb. 10 2010 at 11:51 am
It's fascinating... I wrote this poem over two and a half years ago...it was meaningful to my peers back then, and it's even more impacting to people now. I'm hoping to find a place where even more people will be able to enjoy and encourage change through this poem. (Even teachers have read it!) Thanks for the support from everyone. If you like it, please rate it or comment. Thanks!

cass said...
on Jan. 30 2010 at 10:31 am
i TOTALLY relate! i hate math too!

Msbhavn89 said...
on Jan. 26 2010 at 8:26 am
i luv this so tru i hated maths

FlyLikeAnEagle94 PLATINUM, Kingston, Pennsylvania

"I write about me because I know about me," by John Lennon.

Nice use of personification! This indeed describes the evils of math class. AND ALL THE HOMEWORK... EVERYDAY!!!!

Chrmata SILVER said...
Chrmata SILVER, Abilene, Texas

"You don't have to suffer to be a poet, addolescence is suffering enough for anyone"-TBA

OMG I LOVE this poem! Math has never been my favorite subject and this poem decribes my pain very well. Great job!

Lollipop2012 SILVER, Las Veags, Nevada
ha i like this poem!! its pretty funny and oh so true, im in Algrebra II/trig as a sophmore so i don't really fit in and i don't really understand any of it.

AmnyR BRONZE said...
AmnyR BRONZE, Clifton, Texas

To the world, you may be just one person, but to one person, you may be the whole world. ~unknown

ha ha i've commented already, but i like it even more now! cept i cant call my teacher a jerk cause i'm homeschooled. ugh, math is the subject from the black lagoon though!!!

on Dec. 8 2009 at 9:32 am
AwesomeHeather SILVER, Indianapolis, Indiana
I'm in pre-cal this year and I so relate to this!!

munkyman95 GOLD, Medway, Other

I will become, what I know I am' Michael Jordan

Loved it! Very real and clear. A breath of fresh air in a world of Sentimental confusion

very_literary SILVER, Ballwin, Missouri
i am in honors geometry and this applies so much to me my math teacher is one of the worst i have ever had and so surviving through the class period is sometimes a challenge i loved this ballad so much great job this was absolutely flawless and hilarious

Cherie777 SILVER, Vacaville, California
I know exactly how you feel! Pre-calculus is extremely hard

Lostinbooks said...
on Sep. 15 2009 at 9:12 am
Lostinbooks, Arcadia, California
Love the idea... Woe to the math student! Sounds about right...funny.

Deadjokr said...
Deadjokr, Childress, Texas

"Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight." Phyllis Diller

This is really awesome! Im not to good at poetry, but I know that this is great!