A Fight with Mirror

Mirror shows me a girl
Whose chest is flat
Though her tummy is a D-cup,
Whose hair is like a bird’s nest,
Whose face is greasy
Like the French fries she likes
And the burger she eats.

“See this? See this?”
Mirror laughs so hard
Like something is funny.
“You’re so ugly!”

I look at the girl
And we look at each other
Straight in the eyes
And smile.

“You’re a liar,”
I tell Mirror.

“I’m not a liar.”
Mirror makes fake crying noises
And ends up laughing at me.
“You’re calling me a liar
Just because you can’t accept the fact
That you’re not beautiful.”

The girl in Mirror
Sends me a smile of encouragement
Which I accept with no hesitation
“Yes. You’re not a liar.”

Mirror is obviously surprised
By what I just realized.
“So you realized you’re ugly?”

“No, I realized…
That you have poor eyesight.”

SydneyV said...
Great job on this poem:) loved it

CautionwetPaint said...
Hi, if your wondering why I am commenting on so many of your works, it's because you won my contest but didn't comment so I figured I'd save you the trouble and comment/rate on my own. So yeah congratulations! :) (I totally spelled that wrong . . .) Anyway, love this poem especiallyy the ending! Your are a great writer!

FreedomIsMyVirtue replied...
Dec. 12, 2011 at 6:16 am
Hey, I've forgotten abou my contests. Thanks, anyway :))) I can't even believe I won...

Rayne said...
I like how you won in the end:)

mattisonteeter said...

I'm so grateful you wrote a poem on this! It was so refreshing and reading this helped me out today :)

Thanks

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 7, 2011 at 2:44 am
That ending gave me chills! (Not because it was scary, but because it kind of just made me think). I really, really love this poem. It's so true, that girls always think they're ugly, but what you said through the poem was perfect. :)

ohheyyyelli said...
It seems a bit run-on, not because of punctuation or grammar, it's just the wording towards the end. Also, I don't like the line "though her tummy is a d-cup". I do really like "Whose face is greasy, like the the french fries she likes, and the burgers she eats", it's really good. The last line is cute! I like the message. I'd say it's pretty good overall(:

FreedomIsMyVirtue replied...
Thank you for the feedback.

Harebelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 28, 2011 at 12:45 am
This so creative! I love the first stanza where you describe how the girl sees herself, and the conflict with the mirror is just great!

cowgirl4ever said...
Wow! That's almost exactly how it goes alot of times with me and the mirror. I like poems like this because they get the message out there are other people going through what we are going through.

alex198 said...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 11:19 am
I thought this poem was really relatable, a lot of girls experience the same emotions and I think you captured them beautifully in a very unique style. Well done!

DarkenRose said...
This is a great poem :)

shadowrider said...
This is great! I love the voice behind this piece. Definitely relatable. The rhymes were pretty good too. The message was fantastic!

Megan.J.BThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:40 am
The message of this poem was beautiful and definetely relatable. Good poem.

dark_armor1 said...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:49 am
OMGGGGG! i LOVE this poem !!!!!!!!!!! wow brava! really job well done!! :D

.Izzy. said...
I really liked this. Five stars!

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
This was really relatable and I love how the girl believes in herself at the end!

JerseyGirl716 said...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 12:28 am
I absolutely loved this poem; you captured something every teenage girl feels. Great job!

JoPepper said...
I really like the perspective you show in the end!!!!!  Everyone is beautiful in their own way!!!!!! :)

Danni L. replied...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:31 am
ahahahah!!!!oh, wht a witty comeback!! take tht u evil mirror!!