Why? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Why must you despise me –
Is it because my skin has been kissed by the sun’s rays?
Are my roots too deep for you,
Or is it my will to find a brighter day?

Why must you look at me with different eyes,
Is it because I stand tall?
My river flows jubilantly with life,
I am Africa, after all.

Why must you hate me,
Is it because my hips are wide like mountains?
My bone structure is thick,
And my love flows like fountains?

Why must you call me names,
And try to deteriorate my race?
Do you really think that it’s that easy
To put me in my place?

When will you realize
That I am proud to be black?
You have never held me down,
And you will never hold me back.

HafsaAhmedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 27 at 11:20 am
simply outstanding!!

Rebel21This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 23 at 7:23 pm
Absolutely stunning poem  

JulietTiernanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:55 am
Gorgeous poem. So Beautifully written

loverofmostthingscreative said...
This is really great! I love your use of figurative language; it really makes the poem more powerful and more meaningful. It's beautifully written. Well done!

Dreamgirl95 said...
This is so AMAZING! This is a great poem. Definitly keep writing!

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 9:58 am
Great poem! Race plays a role in our lives, whether we like it or not. This poem had good rhythm and the title caught my attention immediately.

3mo_sw33ts said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 4:13 am
I have to agree with FULLSTOP It is an important issue and many are held down by it......but truely I think this is one of the most inspiring poems on this subject I have ever read!!! I love it...adn if you dont,,then your INSANE!

FULLSTOP said...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 3:22 am
i am white, but i think racism is a very important issue and that you did well to address this in your poem. well done! please can you check out some of my work?

xxtennis13xx said...
Sept. 11, 2011 at 10:33 am
I love the message you put out! Racial issues are still such a problem in today's society, and I love how you described yourself in such a beautiful, uplifting way. This is very inspiring, don't ever let racists get you down! ♥

HateKnuckle said...
VERY descriptive and strong. I'm not too partial to political messages but in essence it is personal so its good but telling myself that is difficult. I'll give it 5 stars but I have to look past my bias.

maggie2kute4u said...
i love it...good job.

Antoinette16 said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 11:26 am
this is incredible :D

madbunnymonique said...
I love it it was amazing!! keep up the good work

dreamer_believer said...
this is great! really imaginatlive, yet really realistic :) ha and i love your rhythm in this poem! would you mind commenting on some of my newer stuff? i love your writing, so please keep it up! this is a great piece :))

dorcha-aingeal said...
Apr. 17, 2011 at 10:58 am
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. EMBRACE YOUR RACE. POWERFUL AND PROVACATIVE 

sabina22 said...
This is so powerful, I absolutely LOVE it! You are extraordinarily creative in your metaphors and stanza structures! Congratulations on a job well done. =)

Katarina G. said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 9:44 am
Your poem is very powerful and inspiring.  You are an excellent writer!

HitTheSkyline said...

The poem is bright!
I'm mixed among races.

I'm black and white.

cookiemonsterr[; said...
I really enjoyed this piece. the last line really shows us just now passionate You're about your topic.it all really speaks to me. thanks for writing it. I absolutely LOVED it! amazing job!

CountryGothic said...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:30 am
I love the poem and therefore have given it 5, but I have a question-What is the story behind the picture you have with it?  I'm just curious.