Inner Beauty

Skinny legs, bigger breasts are all they want to see.
Tiny waists and thinner arms, the opposite of me.
The pressure to be perfect is slowly closing in,
An utter suffocation that doesn’t seem to end.
Society is telling me, beautiful is thin,
And if I choose to starve myself perfection is what I win.
Shoving something down my throat, will get me what I want.
Bring me closer to that goal, of a body I can flaunt.
Society is telling us, beauty is a prize,
Measured in the size of your breasts, in weight and clothing size.
But let me tell you here and now, no good will come of that.
It seems okay at first, but soon becomes a trap.
A disease that clouds the mind, and believes what is untrue,
Believes you’re never good enough, no matter what you do.
There is only one beauty that I know, it’s the greatest prize of all.
It’s learning to accept yourself,
Imperfections,
Flaws,
And all.

BriarRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

wow. this is amazing and intense. It's easy to understand and relate to, and when you put it like that-with all the vivid pictures-why bother with forcing yourself to fit society's idea of pretty? It's way better-and less painful-to just be yourself. You go girl!

always =]

BriarRose @>--,---

jmurph said...
Every girl or women can relate to this poem. Amazing job with the detail and all, i loved it and could read it again and again.

_loud_and_annoying_alto replied...
thank you so much. that means alot to me

michelle091510 said...
i can really relate to this. Good Job 5 Stars

pnkninja11 said...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 7:21 am
I love this poem. I believe that people should learn to love them just the way they are. They shouldn't change for anyone. Sadly society doesn't see it this way because they pay attention to the media too much.

janedoe54 said...
i love this<3 the poem really shows what beauty is and coming from someone who struggles to find what beauty means, this is inspiring.

justsmileanddance said...
love this!!!!!!!!!!!

dolphin13 said...
I LOVE THIS! It is so true. The world is telling us who to be, but we need to be who we really are. This is really good. Keep up the good work!

BrokenInnocence said...
I really, really, really like this. I agree with it completely and can also relate to a few parts. I also truly love the rhyme scheme. I always try to give two things I like and one thing I dont like in comments but in this i dont think theres anything to critisize. :) luv it <3

pnkninja11 replied...
Nov. 22, 2010 at 8:47 am
I like this poem 100% all the way. The society we are in right now it is definitely true. Many people try so hard to look attractive. They tend to lose themselves within. A lot fo people want to look like models and actresses they see on tv. But you shouldn't get lost in that crowd because you should learn to love yourself just the way you are. And if you are trying to lose weight you should do it in a healthier way.

music-is-my-life replied...
lol thanks! this is by far, my favorite piece of poetry.

TrinityCreed said...
I very much like this poem, I really didn't know you had about the same concept of this poem as I did. I really didn't know. Thanks for the comment on my poem. I really didn't know we had the same name for our poems on this subject. It's deffinetely a very good poem though.

music-is-my-life replied...
lol thanks. i actually wrote this because of what a guy had said to me. one of my best guy friends told me that if i ever wanted to find a really good guy, i just had to love myself for who i was. lol i think he may be right :)

blondnbrilliant This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I thought this was fantastic! Loved Every Line <3 If you give me permission to do so, I'd like to post a link to this on my facebook wall.

music-is-my-life replied...
go for it lol thats fine with me

dreamer_believer said...
May 17, 2010 at 10:09 am
we need to post this on billboard's all over America!! seriously, more girls need to read this :) everything you wrote is 100% true....and i LOVE how well the poem flowed. this is an awesome awesome piece....5 stars :) way to speak the truth! kudos :) would you mind commenting on some of my work please?

Milo! said...
Wow. It’s impossible not to be in love with this. It’s truly amazing. It really captures the emotion you’re trying to convey. Keep writing, because I want to see more. You should check out some of my stuff. I think you would like it.