The tooth fairy | Teen Ink

The tooth fairy

By shawnteM BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
shawnteM BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

love yourself or nobody will.

When I was in the fifth grade I attended a school called George Washington Carver Academy.  One day my teacher Mrs.Ridley told us that today somebody will become an author. Mrs.Ridely said that there was basically going to be a contest every fifth-grade student has an opportunity to create a story and whoever had the best story will be published into a hardcover book. Everybody immediately started writing stories. I personally didn't know what or who to write about. I couldn't think of anything. I had writer's block in the fifth grade. Mrs.Ridley told me that I would think of something to write about, she said it will come to me soon. Later that day I went home and I stood in the mirror looking at my loose tooth. Wiggling it made it finally come out. The next day at school I sat at my desk and I knew what I was going to write about. I wrote a story about the tooth fairy. I drew pictures for each page with great details. when it was time to turn our stories in I was excited I didn't care if I won or not. The next day Mrs.Ridley announced the winner in the front of the class when she said my name I was shocked and excited because I didn't think I would win. Two weeks had passed and I had finally received the copies of my book. I loved it so much because it said ''The tooth fairy''. By Shawnte'. I felt like an actual writer well a famous one. Inside the book, it said dedicated to my parents. The book had every picture I had drew in it. When I got home I put one of the books on the shelf in the living room so everyone who came in could see it. Thr other book went on the top of my dresser in my bedroom so I could read it every night. That night I read the story to myself and to my sisters. They loved my story about the tooth fairy as much as I did. I went to sleep that night with the biggest smile on my face. In the morning my Teacher Mrs. Ridley asked me where did 1 get the idea of writing about the tooth fairy. I excitedly told Mrs.Ridley that the night before coming to school my tooth fell out.That's what inspired me to write a book about the tooth fairy. She walked me down to the main office and showed me my book on the shelf with my picture next to it. I walked back to class and all my classmates congratulated me. I told everyone Thankyou. At that age, I thought I wanted to become a writer because I wrote one book in fifth grade.

I learned that if you don't rush your ability to do something and be patient it will come to you. Youn can be inspired by anything or anyone. Writing that short story ''The tooth fairy'' made me believe that when you doubt your ability to succeed you are less likely to try new things. When you believe in yourself then others will. If you don't believe in yourself or put forth any effort then no one will either. This experience made me a better person because it made me believe that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to.

I love writing but the editing process is very difficult.