Demon of Death

A shudder ran through the trees. The wind howled a peculiar howl
as the moon slinked above. A shadow crept through the streets,
extinguishing light from the world.

It swept through the grass, its dark, red eyes searching for a new prey,
Viciously had it devoured the first, ignoring screams of pain and agony.
The maker of ruin, it destroys lives of all, choosing
who shall survive, and who shall fall.

I knew it was my turn, all others having been struck. I waited uneasily
for what I was sure would come.
Yet better me than any other; I won't suffer of longing. I won't miss and cry,
wallowing in tears of disbelief.

No, it was better this way. Up the porch it came, the steps cracking
under its foot. Up the steps, that creature came, and moans from the bottom
I heard. Alas, thought I, for surely another had heard.

A door creaked open. And I saw the eyes, so deep and menacing that
I froze with fright. And as it came upon me, I recognized it for what it was;
I had looked into the eyes of the demon of death.

EdytD said...
Thanks! :D
yeah, i'm a big fan of poe. Some of his works are extremely dark, but I've always enjoyed reading them.

xXxFallingTearsxXx said...
Apr. 29, 2009 at 2:27 am
I really liked reading this! You are a great poet, and Thank you soo much for commenting on mine!!! This kind of reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe, the way it is a little bit Creepy and dark. Some of his work is a little wierd for my liking though. Great Job!

EdytD said...
Apr. 29, 2009 at 1:14 am
Thanks guys for the great comments - they mean so much to me! :D

Thankfully, this is a circumstance that I have not yet had the misfortune to be in, so I created what I thought death might be like and attempted to portray these thoughts and feelings in this poem.

Wolfayne said...
This poem is fantastic! It is very interesting, and it tells a story. That's always been my fave type.

Thanx for commenting on 'A Lone Wolf'! I worked hard on it, though it isn't one of my best peices.

Briisfalling This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey thanks for commenting on my poem. I love the imagery used and the way your poem told a story. Keep on writing!!

YeseniaG said...
really liked it. great imagery and its not like regular poems because it told an actual story

WWAce92 said...
Dude I like it a lot. What is cool is that you use theological mystisysim in it to show how demons can roam around use and are just the faint things we see in the dark and that they actualy have jobs. It brings to me a feel of H.P. Lovecraft and Dante's Inferno. It is realy good Keep on righting. and thanks for taking the time to read my work. It means a lot to me when people read my work. thank you again and I'll look for your work.

Mikal said...
Apr. 23, 2009 at 6:32 am
Hi gangsta! thanks for the comments! This poem is great! I can see you put a lot of effort in it! Have you ever thought of being a song writer? You seem like an interesting person!

EdytD said...
thanks! this one is older - i wrote it i two years ago (i think) but i just found out about teenink a few months ago. since then, i went through all my poems, and took out the ones i liked.

it's great to have other writers comment on my work; thanks! :D

TheDarkOne said...
This is an interesting piece. I really like it, good job.
The words you use make it all the better, keep writing Edyt. ^_^

(And about the Vraal. Yes i am describing it from a fantacy. I read the "Deltora Quest" books when I was younger and I suppose it came back to me when I was writing little shorties and other poems. I'm glad you like it.)