A Survivor's Story: Shattered Lives

By Dani_Higareda GOLD, Hanahan, South Carolina
Dani_Higareda GOLD, Hanahan, South Carolina

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these." -G.Washington Carver

The ground trembled violently, 

And we all shook with fear.

In every single soul lay a heap of worries.

Women, children, and men scattered throughout the whole city.

What awaited them were not rays of hope, but waves of destruction.

Buildings collapsed and homes were destroyed.

All of a sudden... silence filled the air.

What followed was devastation.

Chaos reigned for the next hours.

Children amd women were sobbing, 

Men were rescuing the unfortunate,

and by the second, fear grew in our minds.

But no fear is too strong to eradicated by strong will.

Unity forms a country.

The survivors went on to tell their stories.

The first line of that story went: 

"I survived the earthquake of September 19, 2017 that shattered many lives in Mexico."

Many people were torn apart from their loved ones; I've heard many of their stories and it just touches me the way that they have to cope with Nature's treacherous works. I am Mexican and that's another reason why I chose to write this.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

on May. 21 at 12:09 pm

Thank you for commenting:) I really appreciate it.

on May. 14 at 7:57 am
WolfWhisperer0911 DIAMOND, Crosby, Texas

"For I command you, be brave and steadfast! For the Lord your God will be with you whenever you go."
-Joshua 1:9

"Throw me to the wolves, and I'll return leading the pack."- Unknown

"Never moon a werewolf." -Mike Binder

@Dani_Higareda Great job on the poem! I can feel the emotions coming from the poem and the purpose of writing this poem is so sweet! Please write more poems.

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!