Looking Back | Teen Ink

Looking Back

March 30, 2017
By caugusta BRONZE, Abington, Massachusetts
caugusta BRONZE, Abington, Massachusetts
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Looking back at my childhood, I have no regrets. Yeah I made mistakes, or not tried hard enough, but I know I have learned from those times. My adolescence is not even over yet, but I know I have lived most of it. Being a kid is almost over. No more kids menus, no more, "It's okay honey" when you make a mistake. The innocence is gone. 
Looking back at the times I had with certain people, I wish I could have them back. Before my 8th grade basketball season, my coach, also known as dad, said something to me that really stuck. He said, "Embrace the times you have with certain people and things because in a matter of seconds it can be taken away from you." This really stuck with me because a few days later my Great Nana got diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Being a mother of 9 and having over 40 grandchildren and great grandchildren, this was a time of despair and sadness in our large family. She is now in a better place with her beloved husband. 
Looking back at the past seasons of sports, I have nothing to be ashamed of. At such a young age I had that love for the game that couldn’t be matched by anyone else. I had the drive to be the best and it hasn’t fallen through at all. I know that one of my best friends would have to be a basketball. I know I have done everything I could possibly do so far in my life. I can't wait to see what life has in store for the rest of it.


The author's comments:

?This short vignette expresses myself looking back at my life so far as a young man.