What I Learned From My Friends | Teen Ink

What I Learned From My Friends

March 12, 2009
By Jaimie Ciancarelli BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina
Jaimie Ciancarelli BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I learned from my friends the structure of the streets.
What territory belonged to us and what territory was our enemies'.
I found out what trappin' was and why it was done, to make quick money.
I learned that being a part of the streets was something that got you respect, but not in a good way.
I learned that even though they sold drugs, they showed each other love.
That together we were family, a family of the streets.
I learned that there was no such thing as snitching and to just take the heat if you got caught.
I found out that most of us came from families that didn't care,
Mothers who were drug addicts and fathers who were alcoholics and parents who were never the parents they should've been long ago.
That most of us were ones who faced abuse and just wanted to be shown love.
That most of us joined because we wanted to get away from those problems.
But most of all I learned that life on the street was not what I wanted for my life and that I didn't need the love the homies showed me.
But once a homie always a homie.
I learned that there is always someone that loves me no matter what.
And that it was never too late to turn my life around.
I learned that I have endless amounts of friends to help me through life at all times.
This is what I learned form my friends.
Friends for life!