One O'Clock Twice | Teen Ink

One O'Clock Twice

By aspruill98 BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
aspruill98 BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts

“The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.”

― Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Today I am waiting with baited spearmint breath.
But yesterday my tongue was continuously burning with different flavors of tea; that after a while became a muddled fruity mess.
Today I am filled with an odd sort of sentimentality, a feeling I think that everyone understands even though there is no word in the english language that can convey the feeling accurately and wholey. But is the feeling of being all at once overjoyed and heartbroken because you know that the stars cannot ever align themselves in such a way again.
Yesterday I felt as if I was in a cocoon of happiness.
Today I woke up early and kept looking at the scene because I thought that maybe if I beamed at them long enough that their loveliness would endure in my mind forever. Unfortunately the sun rose despite my begging it to stay behind the clouds, the moon, the stars.
Yesterday I took enough pictures of them smiling and laughing that if I look at the photos long enough I will be able to hear those giggles again.

Pictures are a crazy invention.
Pictures remember when our minds can’t.
They can capture youth the way paintings don’t - or maybe they do, but I think they take so long to complete that age touches those moments anyway.