Need Love?

See it but never feel it.
Get close, only to push it away.
“Don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone”
Epitome of my life.
What is wrong with me?
What makes me so un-lovable?
Can someone remove this defective sign from my forehead,
And replace it with a kiss.
I want more than mediocre.
I want someone to miss.
Do I ask for too much?
Are my requirements unachievable?
My heart remains unconquered, unattained.
I’m tired of fairy tale endings,
Silly thoughts put in my head by unrealistic, but hopelessly believable movies.
They are all the same.
Girl meets boy. Girl messes it up. Boy forgives girl.
Happily Ever After.
At least they let on that relationships have problems.
I want raw, unrelenting love.
The real deal.
No movie, novel, or episode of “Sex and the City” could ever touch.
Left alone, drowning in thoughts,
Who else in the world could need love,
Like I need love?

Carolyn S. said...
Thank you all for your comments, tips, and advice. I hope you could relate to or at least enjoy my poem. :) I do write songs as well, and I do plan to write more poems, but I am busy with life right now.

A reply to Art Close: Even though my poem is both blank verse and free verse, it has a point to it. It lacks structure, as does love and life. At the points where it does rhyme, there is a reason for it. I did not just scrawl it out on a piece of paper, there is a lot of thought put... (more »)

morgan R. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
good job, although it is strait forward, this poem is written extremely well in down-to-earth, very real feelings of the average teenage girl, including me. once again, very well done.

ryryross23 said...
that was amazing, it is like the story of my life

Mychiana B. said...
Feb. 16, 2009 at 7:54 am
Amazing Poem

Art Close said...
Feb. 16, 2009 at 5:34 am
Where was the flow or the dreamy prose? The idea was good, but the execution wasnt great. But I did have a very clear vision of you writing this, hunched over the paper, scrawling your heart away onto a piece of refill... if you could take that gift of placement and spin some words, it would be exsquisite. Best wishes.

smile101 said...
Feb. 11, 2009 at 4:05 am
Wow that poem was really good! And what 'un-lovable' girl doesn't feel that way?

jaquanda sunshine said...
thatz really great i enjoyed it

Michael G. said...
In my opinion, the poem could have been better. Though the image was very vivid, i thought it lacked a big enough deeper meaning. If you had maybe mad it longer, and added almost a second poem, like another idea, not superficially, but something that the reader would, after thinking about it, come upon a bigger idea (though love is a very big idea, which i applaud you for writing about). All in all though, great writing.

angelalynn said...
it's really goo i like it =) i wrote a poem about love to actually =P tell me what you think!: TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/80229/The-Day-After-Forever/

SoccerGrl517 said...
Very well said. You know love may take its time to find its way to you, but soon enough it will find its way right to your heart. Stay hopeful.

team_neutral said...
that was terrific

thatoneguy said...
Feb. 12, 2009 at 4:44 am
Wow. I never knew you possessed such an amazing talent for poetry. It makes you want to question what love really is and you do a fantastic job in stating your argument. I'm glad that you're letting your feelings permeate through this poem because I don't really get to hear about them often enough. Again, amazing job. Keep the poetry coming!

thatguyyouthinkyouknow said...
That was a pretty good poem you seem like you are good at being popular on here this was excellent and i don't really even like the gushy stuff! congrats on a job well done.

Whitten said...
That was one of the best poems i have ever read

westlife4eva said...
Wow! This is really good!!

carisaunt said...
wow...so well said. and knowing you, you'll find it...it's worth the wait! keep on writing and sharing your soul...you are inspiring others to do the same!

flattered.CS said...
Feb. 8, 2009 at 6:34 am
it is nice but i expected a lot from teenink magazines.even though iam a small boy i like to read poems and write poems.it,s suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuperb.

paws1993 said...
Feb. 8, 2009 at 2:26 am
that was soo awesome you soo have to think about song writting that poem i was singing in my head it would be an awesome song!

Ivory Wolf said...
Feb. 7, 2009 at 5:36 am
This poem sounds so much like my own life. So sad. Nobody is alone when they say they need love. We all do. It is a fact of life. But a sad one since it can take so long to find that one true love, the one that will love you no matter what. Keep writing!

[Poet]. said...
Feb. 7, 2009 at 2:40 am
This is a wonderful poem. It was like you were talking about me.