A Cliche

I know, it’s considered
A cliché type of thing
To make a rose
A symbol for love

But I always thought
That’s just it
A beautiful thing
So powerful
So minute
One concept
Captured
In one object

It has many layers
Roots
A foundation
Depth
Purity
Beauty
Simple
Yet
Convoluted

It has thorns
Of course
There are negatives
All you want
Is to capture
To hold
That one small
Object
So delicate

You take it
In your hands
And then you see
You feel
For the first time
And the second
And the third
Always
It will hurt you
You will bleed

And maybe
Maybe you’ll learn
Maybe you’ll hold it
Carefully
Next time

But always
Every time
You’ll feel the thorns
You’ll see the beauty
You’ll have it in your hands
But it will hurt you

However
If you care enough
If you want it
Enough
You won’t mind
The thorns

TheCandyVan said...
Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:30 am
I am so in love with this oh my gosh. 

beccalynn1663 said...
May 18, 2013 at 10:04 am
I really liked this a lot. You are so talented!

Fromtheheartfourtwo said...
This poem is beautiful.... It's full of truth... I like this writer used a rose as their metaphor for the whole poem...

BlueJay said...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 10:08 am
i like this poem. because its true. it makes sence how it all fits together and how it works to represent somthing so hurtfull and harsh and at the same time represents the same thing that beautiful and amazing.

Darien328 said...
I think this is beautiful. It reminds me of what my friend Dylan always says. "If you draw a rose for a girl, your life will change"  I am a girl, So I haven't done that. but I've heard him say it a lot. :P

chrissie_star said...
Oct. 5, 2011 at 10:30 am
well done!! could you do me a favor and check out my work? any of them will suffice k thanks! :)

ngaynor111 said...
This is so beautiful! Its such a simple cliche that you turned into such a real and intricate idea. well done!! :)

Jesse914 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this...it takes talent to turn a cliche into something new and true and beautiful:-)

RhythmAndRhyme said...
This is so beautiful. I've never thought about love in this way....I think this may influence my outlook on life. So pretty! :D

kdoll411 said...
OMG i love this its so true, the rose (now that i look at it like that) does kinda reflect relationships. i love this keep up the good work annnnddd submit more i would love to read them 

StaceFaceK said...
This is really beautiful... your poem actually made me think of a rose as a little less cliche.

_MissLaurel_ said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 7:14 am

The symbolism is undeniably true, and the wording makes it magical. This was truly deligtful to read!

~Miss Laurel

in_wonderland said...
really gr8!!

LoveLikeEpic said...

i wanted to congratulate you on how amazing this poem is. I love it to death (Ha, how cliche?) Way to go for using sybolism and taking it to an extreme.

A+F

~ Holly

vegan416 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is so true. i like the way you think.  

Marlyre This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this reminds me of the song "and so it goes" by Billy Joel... this poem captures the feeling of how precious love can be... read some of mine?

kms777 said...
wow thats so true. except you put so much more detail into it. and made it much more deep and intriguing. i hope you'll read some of mine and teahc me how to put such great detail into something so small such as a rose

AshlynSerora said...
I really enjoyed your poem! I can really relate. It's sad and ironic, but it really is a beautiful truth. I really like that you use short and straight forward images. I think it really locks in the meaning. But yeah, the pic should've been a rose haha :) Although a black and white picture is perfect. The absense of color just reflects on the meaning of the poem. I'd love to be able to capture that sort of deepness in my work. My first poem here isn't fairing well haha the s... (more »)

BMMS The gentleman said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 8:07 am
I Know the pic. looks kinda wrong

BMMSMW said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 8:04 am
a rose reminds me of love and Mr. Wilson cant get a girlfriend! hahahaha:)
and i also think that the picture doesnt make any sense, i think it should b a rose<3