I Promise | Teen Ink

I Promise

By Maria.Vela BRONZE, Palmdale, California
Maria.Vela BRONZE, Palmdale, California

\"Better to be a pilgrim without a destination, I figured, then to cross the wrong threshold everyday.\" - Sy Safransky

I do not promise to be the best
I do not promise to be the leader
I do not promise to be polite
or take orders on command

I do not promise to change the world
or save a million souls
I cant end world hunger or mute the voices of the depreived

I do not promise to be nice and I cant force a smile
I do not promise to be the good guy or the hero to our sleeping city

and yet
I promise to love you forever
more then the world can comprehend
I promise to protect you from harm and put my life in danger if it means protecting yours
I promise to sing you to sleep when you are restless and memerize every one of your heartbeats like my favorite song
I promise that you will be my everything and be forever yours

"I Promise" was inspired by the love that i see between my brother and his girlfriend. Its about an individual who has done nothing nobel-prize worthy in his life and doesn't expec to leave this world a widly known genius or inventer. Yet in the wake of all these undone promises he does to promise to give his whole self to the girl he loves and be with her for as long as physically possible. It's true, he probably wont discover a distant planet or be the first person to learn to fly but he while have experienced the love that most people in the world would die to feel. My brother and his girlfriend are in love and even if the world changes day by day, their love wont.