Eyes of a Scholar | Teen Ink

Eyes of a Scholar

By crich897 BRONZE, Barberton, Ohio
crich897 BRONZE, Barberton, Ohio

I remember the feeling -
confusion.

Haze of eerie fog,not
like the fog you
see at home. Dances of
wind come to life.

Look pull throw think.
See. See and see and see.
Damn. "You laid him out
like Shredded f*n Wheat."

Sandals lay on the path,
far from each other;
far from the feet to
which they belonged.

Was he part of the fog,
that silent shadow
of a man emerging through
my dreams?

That star shaped hole -
the eyes of a scholar.

This is a piece done after Tim O'Brien's book "The Things They Carried". It is an absolutely gorgeous book - I highly recommend it.
Anyway, even if you can't (or don't want to) read the entire book, I urge you to read the chapters "The Man I Killed" and "Ambush". They are terrific stories (chapters), and they are the two that this poem is written after.

on Aug. 11 2009 at 3:30 am
Borrelli SILVER, Little Rock, Arkansas
I like it. Definitaly different from any ordinary type of writing.

chadmorelock said...
I really like this poem Chad. I guess i'm not really the best person to comment you on your work, but i really liked the line "Look pull throw think." I don't know why I just do! I guess i'm failing to see what this is about. I know it's about something important though. Just what? You know I'm bad at this though.

necromancer said...
on Jan. 4 2009 at 3:58 am
This a nicely written poem- you used several techniques that worked well for this poem. A caveat - this poem has less meaning for people who didn't read the book (which is a good book)- it becomes esoteric, thus they won't understand why the dead Vietcong soldier was a scholar. Keep writing, just use more generalizable themes or develop the ideas in to a more readily understood context.