sometimes i remember This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

sometimes i remember
dr. seuss books that declared
with such certainty
that individuality was
all that mattered

bible verses that explained
why we would be going to hell
if we didn’t pick up the pace

looking through mousetraps
and crossing our fingers
as we prayed:

don’t die, little guy,
don’t die, don’t die.

now,
on an apple-juice stained sofa
i watch smoke leave
a sagging body in a gray sweatshirt directly
through the nose
and i wonder if this is what
dr. seuss meant all those years ago about
nonsense waking up the brain cells.

and i’m thinking,
i shouldn’t let you do this.

but then again,
i am such a hypocrite.

sometimes i remember
sunday school priests
and how they would describe
heaven as this place where
you love god
so passionately that
it is enough
and it is enough
and it is enough.

so maybe if i could believe in
boys in the ripped jeans
and gray hoodies
enough to make them gods
i could make this world
heaven and i could tie-dye
my past blue and green
and it would serve as earth.

sometimes i remember god,
and sometimes he remembers me.

but i always seem to
remember you.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the June 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

i_am_so_very_large_and_toweringThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:06 am
this is a really great piece. i really liked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KylieKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Okay, you made me cry like a baby. Amazing! Just amazing! This will definitely be found under my favorites... Forever!

caylajoan said...
May 7, 2012 at 8:59 am
love thiss ,this is really good, your a great writer, keep it up !

Indilove said...
May 7, 2012 at 8:09 am
I understand and I love it! this is so great and just compltely amazing! Great great work!!!!!

Indilove said...
May 7, 2012 at 8:09 am

Kaylah said...
I really like this Piece I think that it has good metaphor in it and that it has good alliteration also.

pianokeysevie said...
This is good.. But I'm not quite understanding it..?

Blastdemon said...

REMEMBER WHAT??????? I DONT GET IT

Blastdemon said...
REMEMBER I DONT GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!

HeavenCooley said...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:32 am
This is great!

aurorairis said...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:10 am

Wow! Great job! It's so beautiful!

Please check out and comment on some of my work! Thanks!

Andres V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
incredible

svds1 said...
Beautiful!! Contemporary and flow-y :)

C.A.WaltThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 9:13 am
this is a total favorite of mine!! i love your voice in this and the powerful message it creates!! wonderful job!! read and comment on some of mine please=)

laurensoccer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love your descriptions, especially the one about tie-dye. This story is very thoughtful and creative. Keep writing!!!!!

KelliB said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:59 am
This is so so so good:) Amazing. It is really emotional and makes me personally think. Great job!!!

AbstractFragment This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Absolutely love it.

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is wonderful! It is the kind of poetry that I love to read and write! I know that you're getting a lot of comments, but would you mind reading my No Matter How Long You Search For Perfect poem? I feel like we have similar styles! You don't have to though, really! :)

Fia-fia said...
This is just lovely..... it all ties together and... i don't know what to say. It moved me... thank you. I understand exactly what you mean when you declare who you remember most and relate life to heaven. Beautiful. I like the Dr. Suess reference, but I am kinda confused how he ties in. But still wonderful.. thank you! :)