Before | Teen Ink

Before

By mynameisobel PLATINUM, Collingswood, New Jersey
mynameisobel PLATINUM, Collingswood, New Jersey

You can not be brave if only good things have happened to you.

Before high school my mind was operated by a two way street with traffic light directing each molecule of my being
Before high school my body was a pure and unscathed landscape with each piece of skin flowing seamlessly into the next
Before high school dreams filled every aspect of my day and joy was not simply a distant memory.
Before high school I loved every pound of myself.
Before high school rumors filled my brain from countless sourced of propaganda, telling me of the boys that donned tattoos and piercings f***ing the girls that effortlessly held a cig propped between her fingers
And of the popular boys with their clean cut hair and good boy smirks that fall for the girls who had only known of love from the fictional boys that laid beneath the pages of their only friends.
But all I have gotten from high school was a mind of mayhem, a four way road with no signs, with cars colliding with every breath I take.
All I have gotten from high school was a battle field of warrior scars that lay the aftermath of endless civil wars between my left and right side brain.
No longer when I run my hands down my body is it seamless, there are bumps were I have been marked.
All I have gotten from high school was comparing myself with the girls that he choice to grace his lips and wondering what was wrong with me
All I got from high school was unadulterated self-loathing and wishing I had met my grave already.
All I got from high school was a deep envy to be anyone else but me

All I got from high school was never-ending days of pouring my heart over books that had no meaning and pulling matter from in-between the lines that had never held it when the author put pen to paper.
All I got from high school was realizing that dreams only were for the few hours I manage to get and that joy is only a distant memory of something I wished to feel.
All I got from high school was stress, anxiety, and depression all in the matter of a year.
And I found that in high school the boys that donned tattoos and piercings only f***ed the girls that petted their ego for the few seconds that they wished to use them for.
And the girls who effortlessly held a cig propped between her fingers were lonely and only wanted desperately to die.
And the popular boys with their clean-cut hair and good boy smirks only touched the girls with alcohol and drugs dripping forth their lips.
And the girls who only knew love from the boys that laid nestled in the pages of the novels that they read are only trying to survive.
But you know at least I have an education.

on Apr. 26 2014 at 9:27 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Very emotional and definitely full of feeling. I could feel you writing this as I read it. Very good, but like I said on your novel, you could definitely use work on spelling, grammar, and punctuation. But I like it a lot.... I showed it to my friends too!