set me free | Teen Ink

set me free

first impressions leave me jittery
what do you see when you look at me?
pretty faces, warm embraces
I can tell you’re judging me
don’t you see, you can’t label me
I’m not a can of soup
I’m just a girl, waiting to be set free
but apparently you can’t see clearly
because I’m not even close to who you think I am

I wrote this poem in frustration for today’s world of stereotyping and categorizing. It irritates me when people judge me before they get to know me, yet I subconsciously continue to judge others. Throughout the years, society has integrated the idea of judging others by their outward appearances, making it seem almost acceptable. Though it seems easier to categorize people, everyone is unique. No one can fit into neat little categories based on one aspect of their being. “I’m just a girl, waiting to be set free” refers to the binding power of stereotypes (7). Repeatedly being told you will never be good enough because of your gender or race, for example, greatly diminishes self-esteem. Stereotypes limit the power of hopes and dreams. I dedicate this poem to everyone who has ever been labeled. You are good enough.

on Oct. 14 2008 at 12:52 am
I really like this poem, and I love your indifference, as well as your acceptance. Though, judgement is our biological and evolutionary instinct. Although it has gotten out of hand, I agree, judgement in moderation is quite useful. Sometimes all we have to go on are first impressions. Things are rarely 'This is bad, this is good' matters.