The Girl and the Sea | Teen Ink

The Girl and the Sea

The Girl and the Sea

She spent her time alone
Watching the sea
She had no want for companions
So others let her be

She was unmoving
She would sit there for so long
She was so focused
She was so withdrawn

No one else understood
It didn’t make sense
Why was she so absorbed?
Why was she so obsessed?

But her reasons were clear
And her reasons were true
She understood the sea
More powerful than me or you

She wished for many things
Mostly to be part of the sea
So she too could be untamable
And she too could be free

Maybe she wished a little hard
Maybe she wished a little to long
But they awoke one day
To find she was gone

On her fate
They never could agree
But it was simple
She just walked out into the sea

She spread out her arms
Wide and long
Let got of all she had
And then she was gone

I was first inspired to write this poem 3 years ago. It was during my class' 8th grade trip, a week before graduation. We had gone to Seattle Washington and that day we stopped at a beach. I spent two hours sitting on a log, just a few feet away from the sea with my then best friend Eli. As we stared out at the sea we talked about everything. My desire to be a writer, our love of fantasy and magic, and our desire for something out of this world to just HAPPEN and make our predictable lives less boring. When I looked out at the sea it just appeared so endless and etheral, as if it contained magical qualities that we're not aware of, qualities that might be impossible for us to ever be aware of. I haven't seen the sea since that trip. And I haven't talked to Eli in about two years. That trip not only marked the end of 8th grade, it was also the end of something simple and the beginning of everything else. Some things since then have changed. Some forever, not for better. This poem is one of my links to a past that seems farther away than it actually is. It is also one of the things that have changed, it has gone through many revisions and corrections since I first discussed the basic concept with Eli that day. "A poem about a girl who's in love with the sea." I said. "And in the end she walks in and becomes a part of it...or maybe she drowns." I ponderd aloud. "That's depressing" Eli said. "I don't think so." I told him.