Mermaids | Teen Ink

Mermaids MAG

Salty hair glides like seaweed
In the cool waters.
Sand beneath her toes,
Soft on bare feet.
Waves caress her tanned body,
Rocking her gently like an infant.
Diving under for sand dollars,
The currency of mermaids.
How many would she need before
Her legs turned into fins?
She lies on sun-baked rocks
Until the ocean calls her back
And she jumps into its open arms.
Other children swim with her,
But can’t keep up her pace.
A sign, she says,
That she wasn’t meant for land.
As her mother calls her back
She replies, “I’d rather just stay.”

Taty9 SILVER said...
on Jan. 18 2013 at 12:15 am
Taty9 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
I adore mermaids:) Your poem is really good. I think you would enjoy mine, too. They're also about mermaids, but more dark; like sirens. Please check them out and let me know what you think:)

thoughtsofmine, Honeybrook, Pennsylvania
i'm not sure exactly what you were thinking, because i am not you, but it kind of seems like she doesn't belong on land with the normals, and she is dying to live in the water, in a place where she belongs?

Squiddy said...
i wish i were a mermaid but im just a squidd. bravo.

one_of_a_kind_girl GOLD, N/A, California
loooooooooove ittt

Alliekat BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
loved it. i love to swim, but im not an amazing swimmer as the girl in the poem is! anyway, it was great and i hope to read more of this authors work.

on Mar. 8 2009 at 5:50 am
Austin PLATINUM, Pipe Creek, Texas
i love it.

there's also been a song playing in my head "Of up and Coming Monarchs" by Pedro the Lion... it's about getting away... and i was thinking of that while listening. look the lyrics up, they're wonderful just like your poem

on Feb. 17 2009 at 2:43 am
Hay_Wire PLATINUM, Independence, Missouri
wow. i dont know what else to say, that is amazing, and so me. i love just laying at the bottom of pools for as long as i can, and the ocean...is just better than i can explane. you totally encompased this feeling with tis, thanks!

on Feb. 17 2009 at 1:35 am
hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas

“God, of your goodness, give me yourself; you are enough for me, and anything less that I could ask for would not do you full honour. And if I ask anything that is less, I shall always lack something, but in you alone I have everything”

This is very good. I love all of the imagery and that I can picture the mermaid in my mind. Good job

ravengirl said...
you are a great writer keep it up because this throws so many memories songs and stories!

It was pretty cool, very beautiful. I think that if you keep writing, your messages will become stronger, which is what I think poetry is all about. I'd like to read some of your other work! Good job!!!

on Feb. 1 2009 at 12:30 am
Really nice poem. Love the similes and personification of the ocean. Fits amazingly into the overall poem. Great job! Keep Writing!

popiepolly:) said...
on Jan. 25 2009 at 12:10 am
OMG I LOVE MERMAIDS MY ROOM HAS A BUNCH OF MERMAID AND MERMAN STUFF IN AHHHHHHHH I LOVE THIS:)

Duckie430 said...
this is really cute

penguin35 said...
Beautiful poem! I am going to share it with my best friend!

popy said...
cute but really not cute enough ok

hopeful said...
on Jan. 15 2009 at 2:36 am
this is adorable ! i love it !

Mickey said...
this is a really cute poem... good job

DBrown said...
Melanie, this is wonderful! Thoughtful, beautifully composed and very evocative...You MUST keep writing!

mawmaw said...
Mel, WOW. I will read your poem again and again. It's beautiful--the imagery, the pace and tone. I especially love that question you ask in the middle. WOW. You have a poet's eye and heart. Happy Birthday.

Melllll582 said...
on Jan. 8 2009 at 1:36 am
haha I actually got the idea this poem from another poem about ice. It described like this kinship with skating, and it reminded me of my kinship with the ocean. We were supposed to write a winter poem but I opted out and wrote this haha