Word Association | Teen Ink

Word Association

September 11, 2008
By Anonymous

It’s not normal.
They won’t comprehend.
They’ll never let his sexuality be formal.
They see his rationale as impossible to defend.
They’ll look at him with skepticism.
Tears will cloud their eyes.
They’re unable to see a her as a him.
Unable to shrink the problem down to size.
They see him as an alien.
They don’t realize he comes in peace.
He’s confused about how to make the hate end.
To him it feels as if this war will never cease.
They don’t see how someone can feel like
they’re not the human they were born to be.
It’s the loving person inside they refuse to see.
Again I tell you, it’s not normal.
I know they won’t comprehend.
No one sees how he can be a woman…
Who knows he was meant to be a man.

The author's comments:
I wrote this poem for my creative writing class this year about my boyfriend, Anthony. He is transgender, which means he was born in a girl’s body but lives with the mindset of a boy. I wrote this poem because after meeting Anthony, I was stunned by how kind-hearted and unique of an individual he was. He gets bullied and judged constantly by the people around him for the way he dresses and embraces his life and they don’t realize how damaging that can be. Everyday he opens my eyes more and more to the world around me and I thank him so much for that. My goal in writing this is not to question or slam on anyone's morals against (GLBT) community. My goal is to, hopefully, open people's eyes enough to realize gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people are just that... they’re people. People with families, friends, careers, and goals just like everyone else.