Down the Barrel | Teen Ink

Down the Barrel

By will_1863 BRONZE, Sumas, Washington
will_1863 BRONZE, Sumas, Washington

The column of men in blue
marched swiftly down the road.
Trying to make it to Gettysburg
before the night sky consumes the land.
The fate of a country
in the hands of two apposing Army’s
one in blue the other gray.
Every man nervous but determined
to fight for what he believes in.

As the sun slowly rises over the cool crisp land
every man knows that most wont survive the day.
As the two Army’s collide
the blood of the fallen will stain
the land for centuries to come.

This poem is about the lead up to the battle of Gettysburg which took place from July 1-3 1863. At this point in the war, Gen. Robert E Lee has taken the Confederate Army north in an attempt to flank the Northern forces. Both armies engaged each other in and around the small town of Gettysburg. Both sides know that this engagement would determine which side would win. Both tried but after the attempt to brake though the Union center, the confederates fell back to their states and continued fighting till the end.
In the beginning of my poem I wanted to make it seem like there was a sence of urgency in the way the column was moving. The word swiftly made it seem like the men were determined and had a purpose to the forced march. I thought the short phrase “…Two opposing armies one blue the other gray…” showed that this was about the Civil War and that two different ideas could destroy the dreams of so many people. I also thought that that this entire phrase made it easier and more real for people to connect with the past.
I chose the word “determined” to represent the beliefs of so many people, and that they wouldn’t give up their way of life without a fight. When I was talking about the sun rising in the morning, I wanted to give the reader the sence that they were camping but yet give the feeling that even amid so much chaos, the land would stay the same. When I said “…stain the land…” I was referring that the feelings and beliefs of the people who would still be there and that no matter what happened in the battle no one would forget.
The theme of this poem is that even if someone is nervous and scared they will still fight for what they believe in. this is stated in line 8 and 9.
I thought that this poem was good for my first poem, and I hope to write more in the future.