Wishing for Amnesia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Memories marred by the attempts to delete them,
She doesn’t know what really happened anymore.
The Incident becomes incidents become “it happens all the time.”
Now all she knows
Is that it happens all the time.

Denial becomes excuses becomes I’m sorrys and
“What do you want me to do?”
It’s too late. She’s already afraid.

Afraid to be pitied,
She clutches her teddy bear, swallows her tears
And allows them to read her a story.

ilikepoatry4 said...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 11:16 am:
i agree with i like poetry3

i like poetry3 said...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 11:12 am:
terrible poem

c_taylor replied...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm :
Why do you think this is a terrible poem? What is it about that you dislike so much to call it terrible? I understand someone saying they don't think it's very good but just to be so blunt saying "terrible poem" is way out there.

SydneyS. said...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 9:26 am:
That was really good. I like the fact that we don't know what the meaning is because it leaves it open for the reader to relate in many different struggles

hrf1434This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
What the heck was that about

mimirocks124 said...
wow amazing. it keeeps u guessing. so beautiful

sunrise_faerie said...
i loved the poem. simple, complicated, deep, thoughtful... just great : )

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is another one of those poems that you should read over and over again to get the meaning.  the type of poems that you would read over and over again obligingly.  i like it.  but i still dont know what the "incident" was...

beautifulworld replied...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 2:51 pm :
i think that's the point. by now stating what the incident was exactly, it leaves it open to be interpreted

Phina replied...
Feb. 23, 2011 at 10:10 am :
I reallt like this poem, it's regal from a child's standpoint, it means something important.

Natherine said...
Honestly i think this is a good poem nd the thought behind it makes mee think it could have been better but thats just my opinion. i hope yuh keep writing because with every stroke of the pen your writing will grow. :)

LuvKirstyn14 said...
i think that the concept of this poem is very thought out and real. although, i feel that it is a little cold and emotionless. of course, the subject of abuse is very cold, but you could've put more emotion into your poem. i think that you thought a little too hard about the poem and didnt really let the words flow easily from your heart. that's what poetry is; it's supposed to come from your heart. but, i do think that the complexity of it is nice.

CindyAguilar said...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 2:29 am:
I'm going to tell the truth. I never liked poetry. It has to be really nice for me to read one. and I got to say, I loved this.

abbier... This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 11:23 pm:
i love this poem. i think alot of people can relate. this is really passionate and deep.

theinquisitivedonkey said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 9:21 pm:
It's so weird, I was holding my favorite stuffed animal while I read this.. eerie. Your poem is very well written and obviously comes from a very passionate source.

Shadows said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 7:59 pm:
Amazing. I felt the fear of forgetting things when I read this.

shaniab said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm:
great

WriterGirl33 said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 11:22 am:
I thought it was very interesting and I could feel the emotion in it, but I also felt like the way it was writen took away from it. That is just my personal opinion and I know we all have different ones so keep writing!

anythingandeverything said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 8:36 am:
I loved it from the first line. GREAT poem :)

hmmm.. said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 3:26 am:
okay.. this is just my personal opinion.. i think the poem is good in meaning but is not well written at all.. I mean, it seems like somewhat an amateur composition.. this is just a piece of advice.. if you will write something, put your heart into it.. writers are called writers not just because they write but because they were artistic enough to do so.. again.. this is just my opinion.. try to read other compositions and you might have an idea on what i really mean.. accept critic... (more »)