Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

thesilverrose said...
Wonderful work. It's very sad, but yet unfortunatly true.

ilovetinkerbell said...
Great job. I LOVE IT... Keep up the great work. oh, and by the way congrats on having it published in the magazine.

JonasLover89 said...
So sad, and it's very true. We discussed it last year in social sciences, and it was difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that boys my age were tossing bombs and not baseballs, girls were tying helmets on their head and not bows in their hair...

jmc.13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:50 am
I loved this. It is beautifully powerful work, and managed to capture the essence of sadness extremely well.
Fantastic job!

ariwrites94 said...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:39 am
wonderful poem! you are a talented writer!!! keep up the jaw-dropping work :) oh yeah if you have time could you maybe read, comment, and rate my poem called "Sensitive Am I?" Thanx. :)

starz&hearts4ever said...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:35 am
great poem.I see a lot of truth behind it.

shywriter said...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 5:41 am
Amazing, keep writing!!

ray1169 said...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 9:31 am
I LOVE IT... dont ever stop writing.... you're to good to stop

bamboom212 said...
Wow, unbelievable. This poem really got to me. I personally have no talent in poetry, but this is amazing. Keep up the awesome work!! I wanna read more!! :P

sobel95 said...
"Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped." That part really spoke to me. Keep up the great work!

geezlike said...
Yes, it's a fantastic poem, but I don't think it was written to get personal compliments...child soldiers are true and their lives are destroyed along with those of their families. It is usually the youth of the world that stands up and demands that things change. How can we stand together to stop this kind of abuse of innocence and youth in our world?

mutekid016 replied...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 8:09 am
Yea kids are the future, why are we fighting wars at our age? We should stop this.

rosechick21 said...
this is an amazing poem, it brought tears to my eyes.

lauren_b said...
outstanding poem, real truth seen through an artists eyes, just one way to express a disturbing matter, and a very good way at that.

StephanieQueen said...
A great poem, very true i agree with every word of it, this world is pathetic

writer101 said...
oh my goodness! That was beautiful!

Uotani said...
very awesome poem, its discriptive and moving and true . . . wow is one word that can describe it . . . amazing is another . . . . . . . ..

roxamania96 said...
this is beautiful and moving. i love how you keep describing their eyes. its phenomenal

This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 28, 2009 at 10:11 am
Such a sad, beautiful poem. I love that you wrote about this topic. It's a beautiful poem, keep writing.

legolas_elf said...
Oct. 28, 2009 at 7:19 am
I love this poem so much. It is really powerful and it captures the cruelty perfectly. If you guys could please read and comment on my poem. It is pretty recent and it's called I See. It's about the Jim Crow Laws. It's under the free write section so could you guys please post some comments on it?