Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

ask why said...
this poem may be about a powerful topic but i don't believe the writing deserves all the praise that people are giving it.

shywriter replied...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm :
What are u talking about?!?!??! This poem is amazing! How she's able to describe everything just by the look in their eyes is pure genius!

beccawrites94 said...
This poem reminds me of an organization that is trying to prevent the abuse of child soldiers, Invisible Children. You really described everything well and I am glad that is was published. We need to get the word out about what is happening to kids our age and some much younger.

josie1314 replied...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 5:27 pm :
I know what you mean!! There is a facebook petition that demands the arrest of the rebel army leader who is taking all these children. His name is Joseph Kony and whoever reads this, go to Facebook, search Invisible Children, and go sign their petition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMIA replied...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 7:09 pm :
I know about Invisible Children. Two people from the organization came to my school and told us all about it. And the whole school signed the petition to save these children.

josie1314 replied...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 11:06 am :
YESS!! They came to our school too, and I thought they were very inspiring

DAMIA replied...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 4:01 pm :
Yeah, I thought so too. I was very shocked to hear about it, because honestly I had never heard about it before they came. I had no idea that any of that was happening. It's really terrible, and I really hope that those children get the help they need.

josie1314 replied...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 4:21 pm :
I understand what you mean, and that's why they're trying to raise awareness. My school was like in tears when they came.

DAMIA replied...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 6:15 pm :
Yeah. I know what you mean. Same with my school. I really hope that Invisible Children succeeds in helping these kids. It's not fair to the children and their families. No one should be treated like that.

josie1314 replied...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 8:16 pm :
I know! It just proves how sad the world is.

DAMIA replied...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 2:01 pm :
Yeah I know right! It's really sad.

josie1314 replied...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 5:15 pm :
But you gotta think, despite all the pain that it is, there are people willing to help these kids, and I want to be one of them.

DAMIA replied...
Dec. 16, 2009 at 4:13 pm :
I know. And I am thankful that they have people fighting and looking out for them. And I agree, I am a big supporter, and I want to be one of the people who helps save those kids.

BoogaleafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is an amazing poem. I love the truth behind it and how heartfelt the theme is. I really enjoy poems that have real life themes and current issues of the world. Your style is great, too.

debbieeee said...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 10:49 am:
This reminds me of Emimen's song "Toy Soldier" even though it has nothing to do with it. I really enjoyed reading this. It was a great poem. It's sad to know that everything that is written above is actually true.

Jimmy_flash said...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 8:07 am:
great poem its really sad that childern have to go through things like that its a shame for anyone to have to experince anything like this but life sucks ):

AnnHenn said...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 6:42 am:
I would love to know the story behind this. I live in a country with many such children, an you have described them perfectly. Well done!

thesilverrose said...
Wonderful work. It's very sad, but yet unfortunatly true.

ilovetinkerbell said...
Great job. I LOVE IT... Keep up the great work. oh, and by the way congrats on having it published in the magazine.

JonasLover89 said...
So sad, and it's very true. We discussed it last year in social sciences, and it was difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that boys my age were tossing bombs and not baseballs, girls were tying helmets on their head and not bows in their hair...

jmc.13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:50 am:
I loved this. It is beautifully powerful work, and managed to capture the essence of sadness extremely well.
Fantastic job!