Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

sleeplessdreamer said...
The writing was great and the theme behind it was even better. Congratulations, you have a great poem and a great talent.

Unknown said...
This was a great article, it really touched my heart. I am along with the other people that want to help these kids. I am 13 years old and is one of 5 kids. We feel really bad and might adopt a brother and sister. This was definitely a great article and is one of, if not the best article I read on teenink. Amazing article!

fiftiesgal467 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 24, 2010 at 10:05 am
good job, so sad

Mostly_Dead said...
Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:40 am
This relates a lot to my father, who had to flee from Saigon during the Vietnam war. He was eight.

Chris B. said...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 8:18 am
This is one of the best pems i've come across.This poem goes a lot deeper than just scratching the surface.

alexb31 said...
Jan. 11, 2010 at 8:44 am
this is true in our world today and some people dont see that. this was an excellent poem, you had a good choice of words and thoughts and put them together to make a great piece

kedsberry!! said...
Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:50 am
a standing applaud ... its wat u deserve! and a helping guidance is wat de CHILD SOILDERS deserve!!

Meera said...
Wow. The theme seemed a bit 'cliché' but it's actually very good, very moving.

alicecullen said...
beautiful. can you read my poems i need feedback!

BritneyG. said...
Is this about the "Invisible Children"?

ilovetinkerbell said...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 10:00 am
Great job on this. I love it.
Tink

ask why said...
this poem may be about a powerful topic but i don't believe the writing deserves all the praise that people are giving it.

shywriter replied...
What are u talking about?!?!??! This poem is amazing! How she's able to describe everything just by the look in their eyes is pure genius!

beccawrites94 said...
This poem reminds me of an organization that is trying to prevent the abuse of child soldiers, Invisible Children. You really described everything well and I am glad that is was published. We need to get the word out about what is happening to kids our age and some much younger.

josie1314 replied...
I know what you mean!! There is a facebook petition that demands the arrest of the rebel army leader who is taking all these children. His name is Joseph Kony and whoever reads this, go to Facebook, search Invisible Children, and go sign their petition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMIA replied...
I know about Invisible Children. Two people from the organization came to my school and told us all about it. And the whole school signed the petition to save these children.

josie1314 replied...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 11:06 am
YESS!! They came to our school too, and I thought they were very inspiring

DAMIA replied...
Yeah, I thought so too. I was very shocked to hear about it, because honestly I had never heard about it before they came. I had no idea that any of that was happening. It's really terrible, and I really hope that those children get the help they need.

josie1314 replied...
I understand what you mean, and that's why they're trying to raise awareness. My school was like in tears when they came.

DAMIA replied...
Yeah. I know what you mean. Same with my school. I really hope that Invisible Children succeeds in helping these kids. It's not fair to the children and their families. No one should be treated like that.