Pretty Little Bones This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Today I worried
Because these pretty little bones weighed too much.
It ate at my brain,
This disease, and I couldn’t think anymore.
I saw three numbers, but I wished for two,
And then maybe one,
And hopefully someday the one I want:
Zero.
Gone, absent, nonexistent.
Which I know can’t be true.
Because these pretty little bones alone
Weigh seventy-three pounds
Seventy-three pounds away from what I want to be.
I see the thick blanket of skin covering those around me,
And the one thin thread holding all of me in.
I see the soft, down warmth:
Comfort.
I am sheet metal in comparison.
Still, I need more …
Less, really.
And I always will.
Because these pretty little bones weigh
Just seventy-three pounds.
I got close once,
Dangerously and excruciatingly close,
That was ecstasy, until they brought me back
And this skeleton was stuffed until she wasn’t a skeleton anymore.
I’ll go back someday,
One final time,
Push these pretty little bones as close to my surface
As I possibly can.
It takes me over
And I can’t think anymore.
those filthy numbers,
they control me.
It is in me now.
It has become me.

MeiLu M. said...
Apr. 2, 2011 at 2:36 am
I love this so, so much.  It reflects the inner turmoil an anorexic person might experience, and the word choice is amazing, especially the title.

IamtheshyStargirl said...

Wow, I can't say as I have ever read a poem about Anorexia. But I think this is one.

Beautifully written about a dangerous subject, I can only hope that this isn't how you truly feel.

Thank you for writing this, there probably are people who feel exactly like that, wanting to become nothing but bones, and then, nothing but nothing.

pnkninja11 said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:17 am
It's so sad how girls do this to themselves. I can relate to this because my family always had something to say about the way I looked. In reality, I was just a growing teenager...I wasn't fat at all.

bookdevourer101 said...
It takes a lot to say something this powerful. But to write it, in such a deep and emotional way is amazing.  I can relate- always hating those numbers on the scale... I think all of us can at one time or another.  I truly hope you can learn to look past the numbers and instead look at who you are on the inside.

xNicolettee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
hi morgan, after reading this powerful poem all i want to do is hug you. having suffered from anorexia for two years i know exactly what you mean, and i'm probably not the first to tell you, but you're so much more. just your words tell me you are a beautiful person and i guarantee you that conquering this disease can give you so much to live for.